Chapter 58

"Dinner is ready!" Mum informed as she placed a plate of her signature shepherd pie on the wooden table.

I watched as she wiped her hands on her apron and how her lips twitched upwards into a smile, smiling at her handiwork with satisfaction.

"Let me help you with that," I said as I grabbed the plates and utensils from the kitchen.

"Is Austin and his parents coming over soon?" Mum asked as she looked at me expectantly while she took off her apron, throwing it aside. "It's almost 7pm."

As soon as she finished her sentence, the sound of the door bell ringing reverberated throughout the entire house, signalling that they are here.

"I guess they are here," I mumbled under my breath as I rushed to door while mum rushed upstairs to get ready and freshen up. "Coming!"

I pushed open the door to be greeted by Austin's parents. "Hey Mr and Mrs Sky!" I greeted with a smile plastered across my face. "It's so nice to see you again," I said as I reached forward to give them each a small hug.

"Hi Shailey, it's nice to see you too," they responded in unison as their lips curled into a small smile.

"How was your date with Austin?" Mrs Sky asked, wiggling her eyebrows at me suggestively.

I chuckled. "It's great. He's a good guy," I told them with a shy smile.

"Aw, look who's blushing," Mrs Sky teased, a smile on her face as she ruffled my already messy hair.

I laughed. "Where's Austin?"

"Is someone looking for me?" I heard a familiar voice rang from behind Mr and Mrs Sky. Then I looked to see Austin popped his head out from behind them. As soon as his eyes landed on mine, he gave me a charming smile. "Hey Shailey," he greeted with a bright smile, pulling me into a hug.

All part of operation cupid.

"I missed you," I told him.

"I missed you too," he said, his voice soft and sweet as he looked down at me with his bright blue eyes.

"Ahem."

I looked up to see Mr Sky looking in between the two of us as they stood at the doorway while Mrs Sky had a small smile on her face.

"Oh! Sorry! Please come in," I said as I pushed the door to open wider while I moved aside to let them in.

"Thank you," I heard them mumbled under their breath. I watched as mum walked down the stairs, already dressed in a nice blouse and jeans, her hair was pulled into a low pony.

"Hey Audrey, hey Caleb!" Mum greeted with a smile on her face pulling Mrs Sky and Mr Sky into a friendly hug just like I did. "Honey, they are here!" Mum yelled at dad who was upstairs settling some paper work in his room as usual.

As the adults mingled among themselves, I pulled Austin aside, just far enough from them so that they couldn't hear us. "Ready for operation Cupid?" I whispered just loud enough for him to hear.

"You bet," he said with a playful wink. "By the way, great acting."

"I know Austin, I know," I told him as my smirk morphed itself onto my face. "I deserve an Oscar for this."

He let out a deep chuckle. "Of course you do."

---

The sound of forks and spoons clattering filled the air with the adults making small talks occasionally while Austin and I sat in silence.

"Darling, Shailey," I heard mum's voice reach me, making me look up from my plate of food.

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Hmm?"

"I have some good news to share with you," she said, clasping her hands together as she leaned forward a little. Suddenly, all eyes were on her and a thousand questions were swirling in my mind.

"What news?" I asked, unconsciously leaning forward, a small smile tugging at the corner of my lips.

"You are getting engaged to Austin!" She exclaimed happily, a big bright smile plastered across her face. Her expression was mirrored by the rest of the adults while Austin and I were not to happy about the news. The smile that was once on my face faded and was replaced by a small frown.

"What?"

"You are getting engaged to-"

"I heard you the first time mum," I said as calmly as possible though anger was boiling in me and I was thinking of flipping the table over right that second. I kept my fists clenched tightly by my side, so tight that they probably turned white. I bit my lower lip to stop myself from cussing out loud. "Getting engaged? At this age? Are you insane?"

"Well... I..." She stuttered, looking taken aback by my response. "It's just a thing. It ain't official or anything. It will only be confirmed after you graduate...I just thought that-"

"Thought that it was the best for me? I heard that many times. You don't know what's best for me, I know what's best for me. Only me!" I yelled, slapping my hand on the table so hard that a loud bang reverberated throughout the house and all eyes were on me. "You can't just decide who I marry and who I love, I do!"

I spun on my heels and walked away, leaving everyone to gape at me, watching as I headed straight for the door.

I stomped away, pushing the door open with all  my force and it swung open, slamming into the wall with a loud thud. I ran outside into the night.

I didn't even turn back once as they called out to me and foot steps echoed behind me.

The sky had darkened into a dark purple colour, almost pitch black as stars dotted vastly among the sky with the moon shining brightly down on me.

I ran across the road I thought was empty. A bright light shone in my face, blurring my vision.

Then came a car, zooming down the street at full speed.

Then it came crashing into me and my whole world became dark in an instance.

A/N:
Vote, comment and share if you like this chapter! 💓

Much love,
Rachel xoxo