Chapter 38

I was walking down the hallway in school, wearing my oversize hoodie and jeans a little to short for me. The usual.

Except it's a little different this time.

Jax's hand was in mine, everyone's eyes were on us. It's making me uncomfortable as I tried to avoid everyone's gaze and whispers.

My whole body felt tense.

"Hey look at me," Jax whispered as he squeezed my hand tighter for reassurance and I felt myself relaxed a little. Just a little. "Relax."

I looked into his sweet brown eyes and for a moment I forgot that there were hundred pairs of eyes on us.

When I snapped back to reality, I felt myself blushed really hard. I would hate to see how red I looked, must be embarrassing.

I hate the attention. I didn't like how everyone was staring or whispering into each other's ear.

"I can't do this," I told him and quickly let go of his hand, running off to hide in the toilet.

I heard Jax called out to me among all the laughter and harsh whispers but I didn't look back.

As I walked into the toilet, I caught a glimpse of my reflection.

Of course, my face was as red as it could ever get.

I knew being with Jax would attract a lot of attention, but I wasn't expecting a hundred pairs of eyes on us. It's crazy.

I never liked having too much attention on myself, I don't think I can ever get used to it.

Thinking about it right now makes me nervous, I know, I have problems but I can't help it!

"Did you see Jax holding hands with the girl just now? Shailey?" I heard an unfamiliar voice said. "Like what, good girl and a bad boy? Is this some kind of cliché wattpad story?" The person added.

I watched as two girls entered the toilet and they stopped in their tracks once their eyes landed on mine.

I stared right at them for a few seconds before I gave them a small smile.

"You are right," I started and they looked at me, raising a perfectly groomed eyebrow at me. "My name is indeed Shailey, you got that right," I finished and walked out of the toilet.

***

"You got a boyfriend and you didn't tell me?" Kelsi demanded as she gave a look of disappointment and anger all at once.

"You mean Jax and I?" I asked as I continued crunching on my nacho chips. It's really good actually.

"Yes Jax and you," she confirmed, rolling her eyes as she leaned back into her chair.

"I'm upset that I wasn't the first to know. I thought we are best friends! I actually heard it from someone else who saw you and Jax walking into school holding hands and kissing passionately."

"We are best friends! And whoever told you that ain't doing a very good job at being accurate. We didn't kiss Kelsi. At least not in school," I added. "Besides, Jax and I aren't exactly boyfriend girlfriend."

"What?" She exclaimed, making a few people turn around to look at us, the usual.

"He didn't exactly ask me to be his girlfriend," I told Kelsi who was looking at me with a raised eyebrow. "It's true!"