Chapter 11

"Because I think you are adorable too," he said as his lips stretched into a bright smile, his eyes boring into mine.

"Uh huh," I mumbled.

Wait. What?

"Wait. What did you just say?"

"I said I think you are adorable."

Oh my god. I think I'm going to faint.

"Thanks, you too," I said stupidly then I slapped myself mentally.

Really Shailey?

I let out a soft sigh and continue mopping the floor as awkward silence enveloped the both of us.

Time crept by slowly as the both of us mopped the floor in silence. Once we were done, we headed out of the ice cream shop together. None of us said a word or look at each other in the eye for even a mere second.

"This is fun," I heard Austin mumbled softly under his breath, breaking the silence that I could no longer take anymore.

"You think mopping the floor after spilling ice cream and whipped cream all over the place is fun?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow at him and I tried to stifle a laugh.

"Well, yeah," he said with a mere shrug.

"Actually, I thought so too," I said with a chuckle. And just like that we are back to being friends and the silence was replaced with our laughter.

"But, it's only fun with you here," he said as he waggled his eyebrows at me suggestively with a small smirk etched onto his face.

"Oh gosh, stop flirting with me Austin!" I joked as I rolled my eyes playfully and punched him in his arm lightly.

"But I like it," he said and added a wink.

"Oh gosh, you are hopeless," I said with a small chuckle as I tucked a piece of stray hair behind my ear.
***
"You know, you don't have to walk me home," I mumbled shyly with a small smile playing at my lips.

Austin and I stood outside the door as we looked at each other in the eye for a split second before breaking the eye contact.

"Well, too bad. I already did Shailey," he said with a laugh, and I watched how his bright eyes twinkle under the sunlight. "You should be honoured."

"I never knew that Miami High's very own golden boy, Austin can be this lame," I mumbled under my breath jokingly.

"Of course I can. Only you saw this side of me," he said with yet another wink.

"Ha ha, very funny," I dead panned as I shook my head in mock disapproval. "Anyway thanks for today," I said with a genuine smile. "See you around in school tomorrow!"

Just as I was about to spin on my heels and head back home, I tripped on a seemingly harmless pebble on the ground and fell straight into Austin's chest.

And I felt a pair of strong arms wrapped around my torso.

My face felt hot with embarrassment all of a sudden and I have never felt my heart beating this fast ever in the past 17 years of my life. Maybe it was just my imagination, but as my face was buried in his chest, I could feel his heart thumping rapidly as well.

What lasted a few seconds felt like an hour, maybe even an eternity as we stayed like that.

"Shailey? Is that you?" I heard mum's voice from inside the house, making me jerk away from Austin as fast as I could.

Before I had the chance to tell Austin anything, mum was standing by the door, looking at the both of us with an eyebrow raised.

"Hey mum!" I greeted with fake enthusiasm as I waved at her.

"Hey Mrs Costello!" Austin greeted with a charming smile and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly as he was met with silence. "I better get going now..."

"Wait Austin!" I called out as I watched him walked away with disappointment shining in his eyes. "Mum, what do you think you are doing?"

"Oh I'm sorry darling, I kind of spaced out," Mum mumbled as she looked at me with apologetic eyes.

"Come on in," I said with a genuine smile as I gestured for him to come over.

I watched as Austin turned around to look at me with his eye brows knitted together in confusion and hesitated a moment before he started walking.

"Just so you know, my mum makes some kickass mac & cheese," I said and almost drooled at the thought of it. "Dinner?"

"Do you mind?" Austin asked my mum like a five year old afraid of his mum.

"Of course not," mum said with a small smile on her face. "Join us for dinner."

With a big smile on his face, all of us quickly got inside the house, getting ready to taste the most delicious dish ever on earth.

A/N:
Hey everyone! It has been a long long time since I updated, I know. I'm so sorry for that as I was super busy with school work and exams but thank god it's over for now :) I will try to update more in July when I can! Also be sure to check out my other books if you haven't yet! I would really appreciate that 💕 thank you all for ur patience and understanding

I do hope that you enjoy this chapter and don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like this chapter!

P.s What do you think is gonna happen during dinner time? ;)

Much love,
Rachel xx