Chapter 9

I was currently sitting in the library alone, swinging my legs freely while waiting for Jax to show up.

He said he would meet me after school, did he forget? Or did he just not bother?

5 minutes past.

15 minutes past.

30 minutes past.

1 hour past.

Yet there was no sign of Jax.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Sighing, I slowly packed up all my files and papers, putting them into my bag neatly.

A mixture of anger, sadness and disappointment was swirling within me like a crazy, wild hurricane.

Just as I was about to turn around, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Secretly wishing it was Jax, I turned around but to come face to face with Austin.

"Hey Shailey," he greeted with a charming, bright smile on his handsome face.

"Hey Austin," I responded with a sad look on my face.

"Are you alright? You look sad." He asked as he reached up to place his hand on my shoulder.

"No. I am not," I answered truthfully, and I could see that the smile on Austin's face fading away.

"What happened Shailey?"

"Actually it's nothing much. It's stupid," I said on second thought.

"Come on, it's not. Just tell me alright?"

"Alright," I said with a small smile. "Well, I was suppose to meet Jax to tutor him after school but he did not show up. It had been an hour."

"Oh... I see. Well, let's just forget about this alright? It's his loss for not coming. I mean I wouldn't miss it for the world," he said with a cheeky grin, putting a smile on my face almost immediately. "Come, I will bring you to do something fun."

I watched as his eyes twinkled with mischief and playfulness. He grabbed onto my fore arm and broke into a full blown grin.

"What's your idea of fun?" I questioned as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"You'll see."

I let out a soft chuckle as he ran out of the library, pulling me along by my fore arm.

"Hey! No running in the library!" Was the last thing I heard from an angry librarian before leaving the library.

As soon as we were out of the library, we looked at each other in the eye and broke into laughter.

"Did you hear that?" I asked as I finally stopped laughing.

"Oh yeah, I did."

***

"Where are we going Austin?" I asked curiously as my eyes scanned the unfamiliar surroundings. "If we are going to do something that involves breaking the law, I ain't doing that."

"No Shailey. Who do you think I am?" He asked as he raised an eyebrow at me, but I could see his bright blue eyes shining with mischief. "We ain't going to break any laws, we are only bending the rules," he said with a smirk plastered across his face.

"Bending the rules?" I asked, my eyebrows knitted together in confusion as I looked at him.

"Oh yeah."

I watched as he pushed open the door and entered the thrift store. Plenty of stuff were placed on the racks, too many that the racks looked like they might fall any time.

"What's your favourite colour?" He asked all of a sudden.

"Blue," I said with nonchalance as I continued to look around the store.

"Okay," he said as I watched him walked to the counter and placed a few bottles of spray paint, some sharpies and snacks on the counter.

He handed a few notes to the lady behind the counter and we left the place with a bag of goodies.

"May I know what we are going to do?" I asked as I started to get a bad feeling about this.

"Don't worry Shailey. It doesn't break any laws," he assured with a smile. "Actually, I'm not sure. It depends on how the police officers see it," he said with a mere shrug.

"This ain't helping Austin," I said as I glared at him playfully.

"Fine. What do you think of graffiti? I did like to think of it as street art," he said as he let a smirk morphed itself onto his lips.

"Wow," was all I managed to say as we stopped in front of a wall filled with a myriad of colours. Paintings were painted all over the walls in a beautiful manner. I felt like as if the pictures were trying to tell me something, and they probably were.

Youths like to express their thoughts through street art, through graffiti, and I don't find it wrong. I found it amazing and beautiful.

"Here, take this," Austin instructed as he thrusted a bottle of blue spray paint into my hand.

We managed to find an empty space in the big white wall and we placed everything on the ground.

"Are you sure about this? We might think that this is a way to express ourselves and all but the police officers might not think so," I expressed my concern.

"It's alright. I don't think any officers will be here," he assured with a small smile on his face to which I returned the gesture.

I shook the bottle in my hand and uncapped it.

"Do it. Show the world," Austin said next to me and I nodded in response.

"Yeah. I'm doing it. I'm doing it," I said, more to myself as I felt my heart rate quickened and the grip on the bottle tightened.

"You can do it Shailey," Austin encouraged as he held onto my shaking hand.

"Thanks."

I aimed the bottle at the wall and started drawing random streaks across the wall. I let my creative juices take over and my hand found its own pace.

Without much thought, my hand started to move around, creating patterns with my spray paint.

My lips naturally twitched upwards into a small smile as I looked at my work of art.

"What is that?" Austin asked as he looked at my work with curiosity swirling in his deep blue eyes.

"The sky," I said simply. "I want everyone to believe that one day, they can all reach for the sky," I explained with a smile on my face.

There was a short silence as I watched Austin examined my work.

"Inspiring. I like it," he said with a playful wink, making me nudge him in his side.

"What's yours? Looks like an eagle," I commented as I examined his work with curious eyes.

"It is indeed an eagle," he confirmed. "I want to be an eagle. Soaring through the sky, like the sky you painted."

"Big dreams."

"Huh?"

"We all have big dreams don't we? That's what we all have in common."

A/N:
Hey!!! So what do you think of this Ausley moment?? ;D Did you expect Jax to ditch Shailey?

Anyways, don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like this chapter! :)

Much love,
Rachel xx