Chapter 57

Jax's POV

I heard my phone beep from across the guest room I was staying over in at my friend's house.

Was it Shailey again?

I thought to myself.

I was ready to ignore and continue lying on my bed whilst staring at the ceiling above me, watching as the fan spun.

But then I thought about the numerous texts and calls I mercilessly ignored. I myself don't even know why I ignore them when I'm dying to pick up her calls and reply her texts, telling her how much I love her.

There's something stopping me though. And I don't know what it is. Maybe it was what her parents said.

I remember that day very well, the memory was deeply burned onto my mind. I remember every word clearly, I memorise them as though they were going to be tested for finals. I remember how the smiles on their faces faded and was quickly replaced by frowns when I told them that Shailey and I were dating. I remember exactly how it felt when they said they don't see me as Shailey's boyfriend. Their words felt like sharp knives and arrows stabbing right through my heart. The words felt like poison, slowly killing me.

That very night, Mr Costello called to tell me that I'm not good enough for Shailey. He told me that I should stay away from her. He told me that she deserves someone better than me, not a delinquent that gets himself in detention every other day.

I guess he was right. I am not good enough for Shailey.

I remember the pang of sadness that hit me when Mr Costello told me that Shailey is on a date with Austin that night. I never knew love hurts this much.

Then I hear my phone buzzed again.

What if this time there is something serious? But then again, if it is, she would have called, and she didn't.

Then I thought that I shouldn't risk it and I hopped out of bed reluctantly. I picked up my phone and saw two texts from Shailey.

From Shailey:
I need your help Jax, my parents are shouting at each other again. Please come over as soon as possible.

From Shailey:
Please. I really need you right now.

I stared at the texts for awhile, my mind going blank before I quickly typed back to reply.

To Shailey:
I will be right there.

I grabbed some money and my phone before rushing out of the room, clad in a plain black shirt and denim jeans.

I quickly made my way down the stairs, my feet tapping loudly against the wooden floor, making Josh look up from his phone.

"Yo Jax, where are you heading off to in such a rush?" He asked as he looked at me, quirking an eyebrow.

"It's Shailey. She needs me," I told him and without waiting for his reply, I dashed out of the door.

• • •

Shailey's POV

From Jax:
I will be right there.

I smiled, knowing that my plan had worked.

And most importantly, I smiled at the thought that he still cares about me enough to come over despite every thing else that's happening right at this moment.