Chapter 55

Clad in a sleeveless plain white dress and a tiny golden heart necklace, I quickly put my hair into a side braid as I head downstairs.

My face was void of any emotions as I walked out of my room with a black purse in my hand. I headed straight for the door and saw that Austin was already right outside.

I climbed into the passenger seat before he could even offer to open the door for me.

"You look gorgeous," Austin greeted as his lips turned upward into a bright smile. I notice he was wearing a navy blue button down shirt with black jeans.

"Hey," was all I said with a small smile I forced out in return before turning to look out of the window.

The whole ride there was silent, except for the soft classical music playing on the radio. I watched as Austin finally pulled over at an unfamiliar looking fancy restaurant.

He killed the engine and we stepped out of the car as I let my eyes wandered around, taking in the view before me.

The restaurant looked way too fancy. Chandelier was hanging off the ceiling and the floor is fully carpeted. Crystals decorated the place with famous painting hanging up on the wall for the people to awe about. Warm yellow lights lit up this place, just bright enough for customers to look at the menu.

"Mr Sky?" One of the waiters asked as he gestured to Austin to which he responded with a small nod. "This way please," the waiter said with a small smile as he led us to one of the many tables.

Austin was just about to help me pull out my chair before I stopped him. "I appreciate it but it's okay, I can do it on my own."

He gave me an awkward smile as he reached behind his neck then proceeded to take a seat.

I kept my eyes glued to the menu while the words that tumbled out of my parents mouth kept replaying in my head like a broken record.

I couldn't get my mind off what happened earlier as much as I wanted to.

"Shailey what do you want to eat?" I heard Austin asked. I wished the person sitting opposite of me was Jax. I wished he was right before my eyes, giving me the charming smile of his. I wish it was Jax enjoying this fancy dinner with me. Not Austin. Not anyone else but Jax.

"Shailey?" I heard Austin called out again, jolting me back to reality.

"I'm sorry. Did you say something?" I asked as I looked up to see Austin staring at me.

He let out a soft chuckle. "I asked what do you want to eat," he repeated.

"Oh right. I will have the lasagna," I told him as I gave him a meek smile before looking down on the table again. As if it was the most interesting thing I have ever seen.

"What's on your mind?" Austin asked as I watched him place the menu down on the table. His sky blue eyes were boring right into mine and I quickly looked away. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, it's nothing," I lied. Austin looked at me as though he wasn't convinced at all but I'm glad he let it slide as he mumbled a 'okay'.

After he ordered the food, we sat in awkward silence as the soft classical music played in the back and the sound of metal knife scratching the ceramic plates occasionally. Soft chatter filled the air but here we are, none of us uttering a word.

"I have something to say," Austin said all of a sudden, making me look up from my wringing hands.

"What is it regarding?" I asked, quirking an eyebrow at him.

"About right now."

"Right now?" I repeated as confusion laced my voice. "Austin. I hope you are not getting the wrong idea but I-"

"I don't like you that way Shailey," he quickly said.

"Wait you don't?" I asked. "Now I'm embarrassed," I mumbled with a small laugh as I averted eye contact.

"You are like the little sister I never had," he told me.

"But we are on a date right?" I clarified.

"Yes we are."

"If you don't like me that way then why are we on a date?" My mind was in a mess, I couldn't register any of this right now.

"It's my parents."

"Right," I said rolling my eyes as I thought of what my parents said earlier.

"They wanted me to ask you out and they wouldn't get off my back. So here we are," he admitted as he leaned back into the chair, his arms a crossed his chest. "Don't get me wrong, you are an amazing girl but I just don't feel anything romantic towards you."

"Oh thank god," I said, heaving a sigh of relief. "This makes things much easier. So you are saying its your parents that wants you to do this?" I asked and he responded with a nod.

"We can't let our parents boss us around like that. Only we get to decide who we want love and who we want to date. Not them or anyone else," I said as I felt myself getting a little more emotional than before.

"You are right. I am actually seeing this girl I met about a week ago and obviously my parents had to butt in and lecture me about dating girls I just met."

"I totally get it. My parents wouldn't let me date Jax just because they think he's not good enough for me," I explained with a sigh. "Which is totally not true by the way. He's perfect for me," I added quickly.

"So that is why they set us up together."

"This is ridiculous, they can't just set us up together. This isn't the 20th century anymore. Plus, this is our life!"

"Exactly!" He exclaimed a little too loud, causing a few heads to turn around to judge us with disapproving looks on their faces.

I let out a small chuckle and I'm glad this date isn't as awkward as it was, I'm glad we sort things out. Now I just have to deal with my parents and find Jax.

Our drinks finally arrived and I took a sip of my drink. "You know what?"

"What?" He asked, leaning forward a little, his eyes filled with curiosity.

"I got the perfect plan," I said as my lips morphed into a smirk.

A/N:
HEY GUYS SO IM FINALLY BACK!! MY EXAMS ARE OVER THANK GOD I LOVE LIFE HAHAHA

Hope y'all enjoy reading this chapter and don't forget to vote, comment and share if you like this chapter! Do also follow me for updates as I will posting more often now! 😚

Love y'all, thanks for the support! ❤️

Much love,
Rachel xo