Chapter 50

Boston is great so far.

The weather here is lovely, the people here are friendly and the most importantly, the food here is amazing.

Dragging my luggage in one hand while I munched on my already cold ham and cheese sandwich I got from one of those random stores along the busy streets of Boston, I let my eyes wander about as I take in the view surrounding me.

A gust of cool wind ruffled my already messy hair and I grumbled under my breath, as I have hair all over, covering my face.

"We are here!" I heard dad announced from far ahead as I was still struggling to get my hair out of my face while I pull my luggage along. I took the last bite of my sandwich and threw the wrapper into a bin nearby before I scurried off to catch up with them.

We came to a stop in front of a familiar tiny house that was coloured in pale yellow with a white door, it stood out among all the white ones.

Christmas decorations was still hanging by the door, collecting dust, though Christmas was still relatively far.

It was two stories tall with a little balcony on the second floor and an attic above. It looks pretty cute I would say.

I walked up the stairs that lead to the door, totally didn't struggle dragging my 16kg luggage up while I watched mum and dad did so almost effortlessly.

Just as we were about to press the doorbell, the door swung open and in front of me stood an old lady with unkempt grey hair, dressed in a plain pink shirt and long black pants. Her eyes sparkled with happiness as I watched her lips curled upwards into a big bright smile.

"Granny!" I exclaimed as I embraced her in a big hug. It has been so long since I have seen her after we shifted to Miami. She seemed to have aged a little, maybe a few more wrinkles on her forehead.

We were so busy there, we didn't even have time to come back to visit. Now that I think of it, maybe coming back to Boston wasn't that bad of an idea anymore.

"Oh darling Shailey, I missed you so much," grandma cooed as she pulled me closer to her. I breathed in the familiar smell of my her favourite drug store shampoo.

"I missed you too granny," I mumbled, my arms still wrapped tightly around her.

"Alright Shailey, I want to hug my mum too," dad teased and I quickly let go of grandma with a sheepish grin on my face as grandma let out a soft chuckle.

"Come here dear, mama missed you so much," grandma said as I watched dad pulled her into a hug, a big smile on his face. I haven't seen him smile that happily in such a long time, I'm glad we came back.

"Hey Michelle dear, it's so good to see you again," grandma greeted mum with a big smile as she engulfed her in another hug while mum mumbled a "good to see you too".

We stood there for awhile, just looking between one another with small smiles etched on our faces.

"I can't believe it has been so long and you guys are finally back in Boston," grandma spoke up, breaking the comfortable silence that settled among us earlier. "Come on in," grandma said as she gestured for us to enter after pushing the door further.

The familiar smell of firewood burning along with the scent of my favourite Yankee candle burning invaded my nostrils. Memories of grandma reading stories to me beside the fireplace while she sat in the big arm chair with me on her lap played in my mind.