Chapter 23

"Austin?"

"Hmm?" Jax asked, looking at me with a quirked eyebrow.

"Austin Sky. He is here."

"You mean our school's golden boy is here?" He asked, speaking as if the words were poison in his mouth. "What is he doing here?" Distaste evident in his voice.

"Well, it could be that his parents are working-"

I stopped as soon as I realised Austin was walking towards the both of us.

"Hi Shailey," he greeted with a charming smile then he turned to Jax who was eyeing him, and I could almost feel the hatred Jax had for Austin but I didn't utter a word. "Hey Jax."

"Yeah hey," Jax replied without making eye contact with Austin.

"What are you doing here?" I asked to break the silence stretching between the 3 of us.

"My parents dragged me here," he groaned. "I didn't want to come but when they say there's going to be food, I told them I'm in."

"Oh my god! Same here!" I exclaimed as the both of us started laughing. "My parents make me come to this event every single year and it kills me more each time I'm here."

"Well, that's unfortunate," he said with a laugh. "This is my first time here."

"No wonder I never see you around, have been attending these events since I was 12."

"It's the same thing everytime huh?"

"Yup," I said, popping the 'p'. "Same ol' thing."

It was then an unfamiliar girl around our age started walking towards Austin. She was dressed in a black high-low dress with her blonde her tied up in a messy bun. She placed her arm around his waist and looked at me with a small smile on her face.

"Hey Austin," she said, her voice soft and gentle, as she pulled him closer to her, if that's even possible. "Shall we dance?"

"Sure," he said to her. "I got to go, see you around Shailey!"

"See you!" I waved with a smile still on my face but that smile soon faded as I turned around only to realise Jax was no longer standing by my side.
***
Jax's POV

I couldn't stand watching at Shailey and Austin talking happily together. For some reason, the thought and sight of it sickens me.

Everything was just fine before Austin showed up. He ruined my mood. Why must he be here? At the same event as me and Shailey? What kind of coincidence is this?

I hated every second from then on, thus I walked away when none of them were looking since they were so engrossed in their little conversation.

I slipped away and into the crowd, heading to nowhere in particular, just walking, walking away from them.

Many things were going on in my mind, it was like a damn hurricane.

I remember some time back, when I went to look for Shailey at her house.

I wanted to apologise for ditching her in the library that day, I didn't want to do that. Who would have the heart to do that to someone like Shailey? Not me for sure.

I had something important that day. My mum fell and needed to see the doctor so I had to rush off. I know I should have called her to inform her about this but I was busying worrying about my mum, I forgot.