Chapter 8

This is not the first time today.

I already lost count of the times I tried to call out to Jax and he ignored me.

I felt a gush of wind as his shoulders brushed past mine. He refused to look me in the eye and I hated that. When my eyes connected with his, he would either turn and look away immediately or pretended to have not see me.

I tried to call out to him one more time but he just walked straight past me without looking me in my eyes.

"Don't bother Shailey. He is a jerk for ignoring you," Kelsi commented next to me as she placed a hand on my arm. "Besides, you guys only knew each other for like a day."

She was right. I barely know anything about Jax and we aren't even considered as friends, probably acquaintance. So why am I thinking so much into this? But then again, she was wrong about him being a jerk.  

"He isn't a jerk Kels. At least not yesterday," I mumbled softly as the memories from yesterday flashed through my mind like a fast forward movie.

"What do you mean?"

I would sing the song out loud if I was in a good mood, but all I managed to say was, "It's nothing."

I let out an audible sigh in response and headed straight to Calculus class.

Just as I was about to walk into the class room, I felt a small tap on my shoulder and I secretly hoped it was Jax.

I needed to talk to him.

To my disappointment, I turned around to come face to face with Ms Rose who had a small smile on her face.

"Ms Rose?"

"Good morning Shailey."

"Oh I'm sorry," I said with a sheepish smile. "Good morning Ms Rose. Are you looking for me?"

"Oh right. I am indeed. I need you to follow me to the principal's office."

"What?" I asked as my eyes widened in shock and then realisation dawned upon me.

Right... I ditched detention with Jax. She is probably going to fire me as his tutor or something.

Second day here. Second visit to the principal's office. Just great.

My eyes averted from Ms Rose as I turned to look at Kelsi to see that she was shooting me that 'What did you do this time' look.

I just flashed her a reassuring smile and a small thumbs up to assure her that it's nothing much.

"Principal Smith wants to see you and Jax."

"Yeah. Of course," I mumbled under my breath and followed behind Ms Rose.

Before I know it, I was standing right in front the principal's office.

I watched as Ms Rose pushed the door open to reveal Mrs Smith sitting behind the desk with a frown on her face and Ms Cole was standing next to her.

Jax was also here, sitting in front of Mrs Smith, leaning back into the seat.

I gulped audibly, feeling my heart beat rising as I walked towards her desk. I slowly pulled out a chair and sat next to Jax, shifting in my seat every second or so.

"Good morning Mrs Smith..." I muttered nervously.

"Shailey, do you know what you have done?" Was the first thing she said to me as soon as I greeted her.

Oh boy, I'm in big trouble.

"I... I..." I stuttered and I felt my breath hitched.

"You ditched detention with Jax!" Ms Cole completed my sentence for me as she looked at me with a disapproving look on her face. "Not only did you not stop him, you ditched with him," Ms Cole added as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"I can explain!" I quickly said as I waved my hands at her frantically. "You see... I... I was... And he was..."

"Don't blame her. I was the one who threatened her to ditch detention with me," Jax said all of a sudden, and I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Jax," I exclaimed softly as I nudged him in his side.

"It has nothing to do with her Principal Smith."

But in the end, I just turned around and shot him a grateful smile. But really, my heart was palpitating at a crazy fast speed, it was so loud, I can hear it thudding against my chest.

I had mixed emotions about this. I was thankful but guilty at the same time. I didn't want him to take complete blame. I was the one who did not stop him.

"Okay. I understand that Jax. I will not punish her or you," principal Smith spoke as she clasped her hands together.

"Really?" Jax and I both said out loud simultaneously.

"Yes," she assured as a smile fell on her face. "But I do need you two to do something in return."

I knew it! How can I get away scott free after ditching detention with Jax yesterday.

"What is it?" I asked as I leaned forward, placing my elbow on the desk, feigning interest when really, I am all kinds of nervous.

"Instead of having detentions, I was thinking that you two will stay behind every 3 days a week. Shailey help tutor Jax to make use of time. Are you okay with that?"

"I don't think Jax would-"

"Yes. I am fine with that," Jax interrupted as he turned to look at me. There was something swirling in his eyes, but I just couldn't figure out what it was.

"Great! Then that's settled!" Principal Smith exclaimed as she clapped her hands together. "You are free to leave now."

I stood up and thanked Principal Smith before heading out of the office with Jax by my side.

Once we were out of the office, I was the first to break the silence.

"Are you sure about that?" I asked as I leaned closer to him.

"About what?"

"About me tutoring you after school?"

"Yes Costello," he responded as he leaned in even closer to me. "Wouldn't want you bugging me all the damn time," he said as a smirk morphed itself onto his lips.

"Oh Jax, you are so wrong," I said and let my lips curved into a lazy smirk. "I am still bugging you. All the time."

"Help me," he groaned under his breath and I watched him grabbed a random guy walking past us.

I laughed softly as I watched the guy's eyebrow furrowed together in confusion before Jax let him go.

"Stop laughing," he protested with a small pout as he punched me softly in my arm.

"Alright," I said, stifling a laugh. "So I'll meet you in the library after school today?"

"Yeah, see you there Costello."

"See you there."

A/N:
Hey! I hope everyone is enjoying the story so far :)

Did you expect Jax to ignore her after the incident? Leave a comment and feel free to tell me what you think!

Don't forget to vote, comment and fan if you like this chapter!

Much love,
Rachel xx