Chapter 3

"Stupid salad," I mumbled under my breath as I stabbed the piece of lettuce on my plate.

"Don't be angry at the lettuce Shailey."

I heard a familiar voice spoke, making me whipped my head up to look into someone's piercing blue eyes.

"Hey Austin," I said with a small smile. "They ran out of fries."

"Of course," he mumbled with a soft chuckle.

"What brings you here?" I asked as I quirked an eyebrow at him.

"Don't welcome me?"

"No, no. I just thought you would want to hang with your friends, you know?" I said as I stuff a piece of lettuce in my mouth and stuck my tongue out in disgust.

"Nah, why would I hang with my friends if I could hang with you?"

As soon as those words tumbled out of his mouth, I felt my cheeks flushed red and I quickly looked down to hide it.

"Austin!" Someone called out to him and I turned around to see that his friends were the ones calling him.

"It's okay Austin, I can eat by myself," I said with a small smile. "You can go," I urged as I made weird hand gestures to tell him to leave.

"Sorry Shailey, see you tomorrow then," he said as he gave me a sheepish grin before walking away from me.

I watched as Austin turned around and his bright blue eyes were boring into mine.

"Call me," he mouthed as he shot me a playful wink, making my heart fluttered in joy.

"But I don't have your-" I mumbled and look down on the table to see that a piece of torn paper was stuck at the bottom of my plate of salad. "Oh."

I took the piece of paper and tucked it into my back pocket with a small smile on my face.

I continued eating my salad until I heard an unfamiliar voice reached my ears.

"Hey," a soft voice spoke. "I'm Kelsi."

I looked up to look into a girl's hazel brown eyes.

"Hi," I said as my lips twitched upwards into a smile. "I'm Shailey."

"You are sitting alone?" She asked to which I responded with a slight nod. "May I join you?"

"Of course."

I watched as she placed a plate of salad on the table and sat opposite of me. She tucked a stray piece of blonde lock to the back of her ear and gave me a sweet smile.

"I'm sorry for making things awkward for you."

"Oh no. It isn't. It's great to have a friend," I said as I let a smile fall on my face. "It's great to have company."

"So..." She trailed off as she looked at something faraway. "How is your first day of school in Miami High?"

"Oh it's cool... Wait how did you know I'm a new student?"

"Of course I do. Everyone knows. It's Miami High, words travel fast here," she informed with a mere shrug.

"I see. Well, my first day is not that great to be honest. I have detention after school. It sucks. I never had a detention in my life," I said as I let out a loud sigh.

"Wow, dentention? What happened?"

"Jax happened."

"Wait. Jax as in Jax Merico? The school's notorious bad boy?"

"Wait what?" I asked as my eyes widened in shock. "That explains his..." I paused to think of the right word.

"Bad boy vibe?" Kelsi suggested with a shrug.