Chapter 30

"Shailey!" I heard a familiar voice called out to me.I tried so hard to reach out to it in the darkness, the empty void but to no avail.

It was like running through an endless dark tunnel and there's no light at the end of it.

"Get away from her!" Another angry voice demanded. "Shailey?" The voice softened all of a sudden. And slowly, my eyes fluttered open.

I blinked several times, trying to adjust to the sudden brightness.

My vision finally came into focus and I found myself looking at an anxious face. His brows were furrowed together and his chocolate brown eyes were filled with worry and concern.

I recognised him.

"Jax?" My voice came out weak and soft. My whole body felt limp and tired. For a moment, I thought I would collapsed on the floor but I realised I'm in someone's arm; Jax's arms.

"Are you feeling okay?" Jax asked me as he looked at me intently, as if examining my face that probably looked horrible at that moment.

Not that I should care.

I let him scoop me up as he carried me in his strong arms.

"Put her down!" Mr Rubert demanded as he pointed at Jax.

Jax ignored his demand and continued to walk ahead, carrying me in his arms.

"Jax Merico!" Mr Rubert yelled once again.

I let him carry me in his arms as he continued to walk ahead without turning back at all.

"Are you taking me to the school's nurse?" I asked stupidly.

"No Shailey, I'm kidnapping you," he responded sarcastically.

"Don't need to be sarcastic mister," I retorted.

"Oh so now you got the strength to be all stupid whereas a few minutes ago you looked like you were dying?" He challenged as he quirked an eyebrow at me.

I opened and closed my mouth and nothing came out although a million comebacks were swirling in my mind. I probably looked like a fish out of water, desperately gasping for air; like a retard to be specific.

"That's right Costello, I left you speechless," he said with a suggestive wink to which I responded with a playful eye roll.

"Put me down now," I demanded pettily as I turned to look at him. "Jax?" I called out once again since he ignored me the first time.

"I'm not putting you down," he stated simply with a smug smile.

"Why not?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Because you told me to," he cleverly rebutted with a slight smirk on his face. "And also, you are not feeling well," he added.

"Yeah but I think I can walk on my own," I insisted. "People are staring," I whispered.

I watched as he scanned the surroundings and his eyes landed on mine once again.

"Do I look like I care?"

I looked at his face for a good 3 seconds, examining his features.