Chapter 51

Jax's POV

"Austin?" I asked, surprised and confused all at once. Millions of questions were swimming in my head like a storm that's out of control. "Austin Sky?"

"Yes..." I heard Shailey's voice from the other side, her voice soft and shaky as if she was afraid.

"You mean, Austin is in Boston with you right now?" I asked. Part of me was jealous that I had to be over a thousand miles away from my girl while that blond hair jerk is right next to her. That thought alone made me feel sick to the core.

When I didn't get a reply, I already know the answer. My fists were balled up and I clenched them so tightly that my knuckles were starting to turn white.

"Are you serious? How did I not know about this? Oh hell, I'm probably the only one who doesn't know!" I cried out as I swung my fist hard to hit the wall beside me, pain surging through my arm upon the connection.

Anger and jealously was running through my veins as my heart was pumping at an ridiculous speed, as though I just ran a full 10km marathon. Nothing can supposedly calm me down or make me feel any less angry and jealous.

But when I heard Shailey's soft voice over the phone, I know it's not possible to stay this mad at her. How could she not tell me?

"Jax..." She mumbled under her breath softly but was loud enough for me to hear as she let out a shaky breath. "I'm so so so sorry," she apologised profusely.

"Why did you not tell me?"

"I... I was afraid to tell you. I was afraid that-"

"Afraid that I would beat up that pretty boy?" I finished for her as I rolled my eyes, angry that Shailey cared so much. "Is that it?"

"No!" She cried out. "That's not it! Is that what you thought? Really? I can't believe this..." I heard she sniffle over the other end and I pictured her sitting by the bed as tears rolled down her rosy cheeks. I would be lying if I said that image didn't twist my insides or broke my heart at all.

My heart was aching for many reasons and I'm trying so hard to ignore that burning feeling inside of me, controlling my anger, my sadness, my jealousy.

I took one deep breath as I pinched the bridge of my nose as silence stretched between the two of us.

"How many secrets are you keeping from me?"

"Wow. You think I'm keeping secrets from you?"

"I wouldn't be asking you this if you just told me about going to Boston with Austin! Next thing you would be telling me that you and Austin are married! Who the fuck knows?" I spat out those words that I had been holding inside of me like they were poison in my mouth.

There was a moment of silence, then I heard the words I never wanted to hear.

"If that's how little you trust me then don't ever talk to me again. Good bye, Jax."

Before I could even say a word about how Austin is the one I don't trust, she hung up.

And the silence was permanent.

•••

Shailey's POV

I hung up after I let those words I thought I would never say, tumble out of my mouth.

I wanted to apologise, I wanted to explain and tell him that even though we are a thousand miles apart, I would still love him with all my heart. But he didn't give me the chance.

Instead, he shot arrows at me, accusing me of everything else. I thought he trusted me enough to know that he's the only one in my heart, the only boy I will ever love, my first love. There's no one else I would ever fall in love with.

I let out a scream, kicking the innocent box that was sitting right next to my foot.

I threw my phone on the bed and watched as it tumbled and fell off the twin size bed. I crouched down and found myself sitting at the end of my bed. No matter how much I tell myself to not cry, I couldn't help it as tears flow down my face like a seemingly endless waterfall.

I can still hear the sound of my phone buzzing loudly from a distance. I covered my face with my hands and sobbed, letting my hair fall messily around my face. I felt an arm slung over my shoulder and there was a tiny flame in me, dreaming and hoping that somehow Jax magically appeared next to me to tell me everything is alright and that he didn't mean what he said. But I know, it's only Austin.

"Shailey..." Austin started off as he pat me on my back, talking to me in a soothing manner. "I'm sorry this happened."

"You don't have to apologise, it ain't your fault," I told him, my voice shaky and soft.

Silence stretched between us for a short moment before he spoke up again, his words cutting through the tension.

"Are you okay?"

"Does it look like I am?" I snapped as I looked up to look at him with my tear streaked face. My vision was blurred by my tears but I could still make out the sad look plastered on his face. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm just..."

"It's alright. I understand," he quickly said, as the corners of his lips twitched upwards, giving me a small smile. There's a short pause before he started speaking again. "Do you want me to stay or let you be alone?"

"Stay. Please stay."

And I let him pull me into a hug, as I buried my face in his chest. Despite hating to cry in front of anyone, that day, I cried my heart out in front of him.

Because it hurts. It hurts like crap. I never knew words are that powerful, especially coming from the mouth of someone you love so so much. Some words are like sharp knives and poison, they slowly kill you on the inside, prolonging the suffering.

"Okay, I will stay."

A/N:
Do feel free to tell me what you think about this chapter!! ☺️I would love to hear your thoughts! Don't be a silent reader 😏

Don't forget to vote, comment and share if you enjoyed reading this chapter!! Do follow me for updates as well! 💓

Next update would most probably on Friday-Sunday since I would be busy with exams but honestly at this point I gave up 😂

Anyway, have a lovely day and I will talk to y'all soon in the next chapter!! 🙆🏻💕

Much love,
Rachel xoxo