71

Averys POV

Really wish today wasn't happening. I was still a little high from last night and felt like I was still floating. I sighed remembering I have that emergency meeting straight after school. Which I think is very stupid but I can't argue about it.

My parents are proud seeing that I've made somewhat a career out of social media. I just hope they don't get mad when the video of us smoking gets to them.

"Avery come down for breakfast!" I heard being yelled from the stairs. That's weird, she usually doesn't make me breakfast because she has morning shifts today.

Anyway, I laid out an outfit for today and quickly went to freshen up in the bathroom before going down.

Everyone was home today. It felt nice finally having morning breakfast with them. While walking into the kitchen, my stepdad kissed my head and so did my mom. Mar was already finished with his food.

I walked around so confused, why is no one talking? They all look happy but are not talking. I looked around at them no one said a single word.

My mom put a plate for me and I sat down to eat.

"This is weird.." I whispered and picked up a strawberry. She came back with an extra plate. But for who?

"Okay Avery, I know you don't like this person but family is family no matter what." My stepdad began saying while getting nervous at the end. What could he possibly have to say, and who is that plate for?!

He looked over at my mom who looked away leaving him to tell me.

"You remember your cousin Natalie?" Like I can forget. She's always been jealous of me and I've always hated her. We're the same age yet she acts like a twelve year old.

"Her mother and father were in a car accident and her mother didn't make it. I'm sorry Avery I know you and my sister Maria were close before we moved." He broke into tears at the end. I was in shock, my legs were trembling.

"W-why was everyone so happy like five minutes ago?" I asked.

"We're just trying to not be so sad about it mija. But your cousin is staying with us until your uncle gets better." The tears stopped and I froze for a second.

"Natalie? Here? Living with us? Literally our whole family is in Miami, why did she have to come here?"

"Yes Avery and she's going to be in your room. And we offered to take her in. Obviously it occurred to us that she could stay over there but it's too sad! She needs a new environment for some time." My mom said while getting up. Natalie walked into the kitchen and I could see Mariano tense up. He doesn't like her either.

"She can stay in the basement." I got up and tried walking upstairs but was stopped.

"Avery Analise! She just lost her mother, stop being so immature and let us help."

"What happened to our other family members in Florida, they couldn't take her?" I asked. I don't see why she had to take a four hour flight for family when there's a whole bunch over in Miami.

"Dammit Avery!" My mom slammed her hands on the table and yelled. Mariano jumped up a little then went to calm her down.

"Don't stress her out Avery." Mar said rubbing her belly. I looked at my stepdad and he still had tears falling from his eyes.

"Baby, my sister just died. Everyone else had a full house and we decided to take her in..." He said in a calm voice.

"You guys know what she did to me all those years! Now you're sticking me in a room with her." Like they don't know I hold grudges...