My Sister and I Part 1

"We made it!" Sayori cheered.

Monika looked around. No longer were they in an empty white void; now they were in a familiar hallway. The classroom the Literature Club used as a clubroom was right in front of them.

The pathway she opened soon disappeared. Monika wasn't sure if it automatic closed itself or she subconsciously willed so, but that was the least of her concerns. Taking a peek into the classroom, she realized that there was something more important to be worried about.

"Wow..." Sayori looked around the hallway in awe. "So familiar..."

"I think maybe little too familiar..." Monika nervously chuckled.

Curious to what her partner meant, Sayori joined her in observing the classroom. They watched themselves try to catch the attention of Shujinkou, but no matter how fast Sayori waved her hands, he didn't respond.

"Eh? Why are there another you and me here?" Sayori wondered aloud.

Monika remained silent, continuing to watch the situation play out.

Natsuki soon approached Shujinkou from behind and slammed a rolled-up poster down on his head, the shock waking him from his trance-like state.

"Ouch..." Sayori winced.

"This was the day Shujinkou and Yuri went to the bookstore, which means..." Monika lowered her head in shame. "This was during the earliest days of the club... We're far away from the present..."

"Don't get so down; at least you got us in," Sayori cheerfully pointed out. "All we have to do is keep moving forward 'til we reach the present."

Monika nodded her head and stepped away from the doorway. She then used her right index finger to draw a heart into the air, creating another pathway for them.

"This really is easier than I thought," she noted.

"I wonder if it's a Monika thing..." Sayori wondered aloud. "Do you think we can interact with the past?"

"We probably shouldn't try to," Monika advised.

"I know. I mean, without manipulating the medium, do you think we can right now or are we like ghosts?"

Monika carefully considered that point. "That's a good question. We should probably act like people can see us and stay out of sight just to be safe. The less we manipulate things in the past, the better."

"Right."

Nodding her head, Sayori followed Monika through the second pathway she created.

...

Emptiness, pain, self-loathing... These were just some of what Shujinkou was feeling as he walked home. At first he felt like his mental state returned to how it was a couple of days earlier, but it didn't. He tried to keep it there, but he could feel it slowly, but surely returning to the state it was in before he joined the Literature Club.

The young man stopped walking and glanced to his left. To his side was his home. But he wasn't really sure if he could call it his home. He didn't know what to call anything right now.

But even with his conflicting emotions, his body brought him closer to it. He was soon standing before the front door.

Shujinkou reached for the door knob, but couldn't bring himself to actually grab it. His hand trembled as he struggled to grip the door.

He closed his eyes. Part of him really wanted to just walk inside, but another part of him refused to do so.

Was it guilt? The knowledge of what was really going on? The fact that a friend of his was, for all intents and purposes, gone forever? He felt like the answer should be obvious, but his mind seemed to do everything in its power to hide it.