A New Reality: Epilogue

Shujinkou spun around like a certain orange marsupial he recently had the chance to meet. No matter where he looked he saw nothing but an empty white void. He assumed that he would be back home or at Monika's house when she reset everything back to how it was supposed to be, but that clearly wasn't the case for him.

"Did something go wrong? Or is it like one of those moments when everything springs to life in an empty space kinda thing?"

"I don't think my other self would do such a thing. It sounds a bit risky to do that for everyone involved."

Surprised, Shujinkou immediately turned around. Now standing in front of him was Monika.

"Monika?"

She giggled and replied with, "Prime."

"Oh. I thought you were going back home with Sayori."

"I still am. I'm doing that as we speak."

"Huh?"

"Let's just say that I'm fighting against the transfer as much as I can right now."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, I just wanted to talk to you. That's why I made sure you'd come here when Monika undid everything I've done."

"Oh."

Shujinkou scratched his right cheek. He wondered what was so important that Monika had to speak with him at the last second.

"I bet you're really happy that 'My/A New Reality' is going back to normal," she said.

"That's the title of the fanfiction, right? What's with the names?" Shujinkou asked.

"Well, I'm sure that they're a reference to the song I wrote. But I'm sure they have other multiple meaning to them."

"'My Reality' and 'A New Reality'..."

Shujinkou took a moment to theorize what those other meanings could possibly be. "Hey, Monika, do you think you could do me a favor?"

"What is it?"

Shujinkou whispered his proposition into her right ear.

"You sure?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Okay, so everything will go back to normal but that then," Monika assured him. "Soon it'll be like everything that's been going on will have never happened."

"Never happened... Wait..."

"Something wrong?"

"That would mean that I won't remember you, right?"

"Mm-hmm. Didn't you already know that?"

"I knew I would forget that I live in a fanfiction and forget everything I've learned about my friends but... I didn't even consider that I would forget that you exist."

"But isn't it better if you forgot? I've been nothing but a bother to you."

"No..." a small smile crossed Shujinkou's face. "And you know what; I don't have to feel sad about it."

"What do you mean?"

"Even when my memories were gone, a part of me still remembered what was lost, so I'm sure that even if I don't remember you, a part of me won't forget. That part will refuse to let the time we spent together go."

An interested look floated on Monika's face. "You've really changed a lot since I first met you... That's the other reason why I brought you here."