The Absent

"What's wrong, Sayori?"

By the time she reached the fifth step, Monika had realized Sayori wasn't following her. She was always so eager to check up on Shujinkou, so it was surprising to see her hesitating.

"Monika..." a dark look hung on Sayori's face. "You sure I didn't mess things up with Yuri?"

"I'm sure."

"That... That was fast."

"That's how sure I am," Monika assured her with a bright smile. "And really, you probably made more headway with her than I would have all things considered."

"But was it a good headway or-?"

Monika pointed at her head. "I think you got her thinking and that's probably the most we could do for now. Just know that you set things up for someone else to finish."

Sayori nodded at Monika's words. "Okay. I just hope someone finishes it soon for her sake."

The two journeyed up the rest of the steps and into Shujinkou's room.

"Eh?!"

Dread immediately returned to Sayori as she frantically looked around the room. Everything was how it was supposed to be except for one crucial detail.

"Where's Shiko?"

The bed her childhood friend resided for weeks was now empty. Blankets were spilled over on the floor, all trailing towards the bedroom door.

"W-Was he dragged off somewhere...?" Sayori fretted.

"We don't exactly know that's th-"

"What if someone came by to finish what Akui started?!"

Monika firmly grasped Sayori's shoulders.

"I'm sure Shujinkou's fine, Sayori," she said.

"...I don't think there's any good from someone in a coma being moved," Sayori mumbled. "The only reasons he'd be move would be-"

"Or maybe he just needed to be checked up on. We should probably just ask before we make any assumptions, okay?"

"Okay... Maybe, it really is-"

A tired yawn put a stop to their short conversation. Their eyes were slowly drawn towards the source of that sound. Their faces were pale as they witnessed Shujinkou trudge into the room with a tired sigh.

"My head..." he muttered.

"...Shiko?"

Any sense of exhaustion quickly vanished the moment he heard Sayori's voice. He scratched his right cheek in amazement.

"Sayori...? Monika!"

"Shiko!" With tears in her eyes, Sayori jumped over and tightly hugged her awakened friend. "You're finally awake!"

Her joy completely taking over, Sayori squeezed him tighter and tighter.

"W-Wait..." Shujinkou placed his hands on her shoulders and gently pushed her away.

"What's wrong, Shiko?"

"You're not mad at me?"

"Why would I be mad?"

"Because I..."

Sayori violently shook her head.

"It doesn't! I know you wouldn't act like that if you could help it!" she affirmed.

"Really?" A familiar innocent smile crossed Shujinkou's face. "I'm glad..."

Shujinkou tightened his grip. Fresh waves of pain flowed through Sayori, causing a small yelp to slip through her lips.