The Absent Part 7

"Threw a vase at my head..." Though it had already been a day since the incident, Natsuki could not let go of the irritation that stemmed from it. "Who does that?"

Following what was most assuredly the hundredth time she asked that question, Natsuki found herself at home. Once she was inside, she was immediately confronted by her father.

"Papa? You're home early," she marveled.

"I know, and I was looking forward to enjoying that extra time, but apparently you're school won't give me that," Kaen groaned.

"My school?"

"Natsuki-chan!" It was at that moment that Natsuki had felt a deathly chill. She turned slowly towards the stairs, hoping as much as it was even possible to hope that the reality of the situation was really just her imagination. But the moment she laid eyes on her the one who called out to her, she knew that it was all real: Mali was in her home flashing her usual smile of innocence. "Long time no see, Natsuki-chan."

"...W-What are you doing here?" Natsuki asked, her voice trembling. This was perhaps the most tense situation in her life and how things would play out was in the hands of someone who revels in instigating trouble whenever she could.

Mali slightly cocked her head, a glint of interest in her eyes. "Don't you remember, Natsuki-chan? You were assigned to be my 2nd semester exam guide."

"What?"

"Oh, Natsuki-chan, you're so forgetful. Don't you remember the school stating that you have me overnight as you explain how to prevail over the pressures of the second exam. They say it can sometimes be scarier now that you have an idea of what high school exams are like. First-years can really have trouble with stuff like that."

"I guess..." Natsuki scratched her head, marveling how something could be both true and false at the same time. True for the people that were like me...

"So, now there's have another mouth to feed tonight... Great," Kaen complained as he wandered into another room. "Should never be more than two again..."

"Huh, I didn't peg him as the cooking type," Mali commented aloud.

Natsuki responded by tightly grasping Mali's left hand, quickly dragging her up the stairs and shoving her into her bedroom. She slammed the door shut behind her and shot a frightening glare at her 'guest'.

"What are you doing here!?" Natsuki raged.

"I told you; the program the school set up," Mali nonchalantly replied.

"You know what I mean!" Natsuki frantically whispered. "Forget the lie you told my dad; why are you really here!?"

"I also told you..." a bright smile spread across Mali's face as she approached Natsuki. "I would fill in for Senpai while he's sleeping."

"What does that have to do with you being here now?"

"Well, just because I promised to fill in for Senpai doesn't mean I have to use the same methods as him. Senpai has a lot of positives, but he also has a few flaws; one of them being that he's rather reactionary. Of course, it's not like he has time to be more active given his circumstances outside of a coma."

"Okay... But what does that have to do with you being here."

Mali giggled. "Oh, Natsuki-chan, you're so oblivious."

"Urk-!"

"By the way... will your mother be home tonight?"

"That's..." Natsuki shook her head. "No, she won't."