Morning Coffee

"What's going through your head, Shujinkou?" Shujinkou looked up from his soggy bowl of cereal and looked into his mother's eyes. They were full of curiosity and worry. It was a look he was very familiar with. "You don't usually look so serious when you drift off into your own world."

"Well... I was just thinking about this girl..." he sighed.

"A girl?!" the shocked look that formed on Hiro's face quickly allowed her son to realize the horrifying ramifications of what he just said. "Oh boy... I knew this day would come. I guess it's time for us to have the dreadful talk both kids and parents never want to talk about: Let's talk about the opposite gender."

Aside from the from the fear he felt welling up inside of him, confusion also had its grip on Shujinkou as he wondered which gender his mother was referring to.

"Eh, I meant the opposite gender in regards to you," Hiro said, her cheeks turning red from embarrassment. "Oh boy, where to start... Um, you may have realized that now that you're getting older, you are beginning to feel a strong attraction to the females around you and..."

"Mom, I don't have a crush on this girl!" Shujinkou quickly blurted out.

"Oh thank goodness," Hiro breathed a sigh of relief along with her son. "But if you don't have a crush on this girl, then why are you thinking about her?"

"Because I was assigned to be her Student Liaison; to be her guide and help her adjust to her new surroundings," Shujinkou answered. "The thing is, she's really quiet."

"So she's really shy?" Hiro concluded.

"More like she doesn't really emote," he corrected. "Yesterday, I promised that I would show her the kind of clubs the school has. But the thing is; I have no idea what she'll think about them, whether she wants to join any them or whether or not she wants to check out any of them at all."

"A girl that doesn't respond to much, huh..." Hiro remained silent as she processed what she was just told. She spent the next few minutes thinking until she just sighed once more. "Sounds like this new student requires a lot of patience. Unfortunately, all the advice I can think to give you is to continue be patient, try to get as much of a feel for this person as much as possible and try to use what you've learned to your advantage. Funnily enough, that was what my mother told me when it was my time to have the talk about burgeoning feelings of love."

"How'd that conversation go?" Shujinkou asked.

"It was a lot less weird than the conversation I had with dad," Hiro shuddered at the memory. "The terminology and analogies he used gave me a weird impression on men."

"I think I can visualize that conversation..." Shujinkou awkwardly chuckled, scratching his right cheek. He could imagine the booming, boisterous voice coming from the adventure loving man explaining every negative trait that men had as any father would do.

"Anyway, you should hurry up and finish up your breakfast or else you'll be late for school," a small smile appeared on Hiro's face as she pointed to the bowl of cereal that her son was neglecting.

He proceeded to finish his breakfast quickly and grabbed his bag to go to school. Once outside, Shujinkou was immediately approached by Sayori.

"You're looking better," he then placed the back of his hand against her forehead and grinned. "You feel like you're better too."

"That's because I had such great doctors," Sayori gleefully chuckled. "Oh, by the way, are you going to bring the new student to the club?"

"I'll try to bring her, but only if she's in the mood," Shujinkou answered.