Perspective II

The day before the Cultural Festival, if you would have asked anyone in school about their thoughts on the event, you would usually hear them voice their excitement. I thought it would be the same for the others in the club but, to my surprise, it was actually met with a mixed reaction. Sayori and Natsuki were as excited as everyone else, but Monika voiced disappointed and even seemed embarrassed that she had to help her class during the festival. She must have had a lot of negative feelings on the matter stored in her as she refused to tell us what her class was doing and even left the room before anyone could say anything else.

Shujinkou also seemed to lack the excitement most other students had. He usually escapes into his head when he has the chance to during club meetings and I guess he wanted to do the same during the festival if he could. That was something I could understand and relate too. He eventually decided to try and find something to do there after some convincing from Sayori though. It was clear that he didn't really want to do it, but he was willing to push himself out of his comfort zone because his friend asked him to. I have to admit... I was a little envious.

The next day, the festival was in full swing. I intentionally found a spot where I could be alone and picked up where I left off on one my old books. I didn't get too far though, as not too long after I started to get lost in the tale, I heard a familiar voice call my name. Curious, I looked up and, to my surprise, found Shujinkou standing in front of me. His search for something to do was what allowed our paths to cross. He then took a seat next to me and I couldn't help but turn away from him. It was really embarrassing having him sitting that close to me.

He then asked about the novel I was reading and even admitted that it actually gave him a nightmare. I was immediately wracked with guilt and quickly apologized for doing such a horrible thing to him. But instead of rightfully agreeing with me and voicing his anger, he instead assured me that it wasn't my fault at all. I was really surprised. I didn't really know what to say to such an unexpected response. He then asked me why I was alone. It was hard for me to admit that I didn't really have friends I could be with. I didn't want him to think I was unpleasant person but, for the second time during our conversation, Shujinkou surprised me by suggesting that we both explore the festival as friends. I tried to convince him that he would have more fun without me, but Shujinkou insisted otherwise. I thought he was only being nice to me because he felt sorry for me but... It still felt nice to be called a friend.

After a few suggestions, we eventually decided to check out a class that was hosting a haunted house. I didn't really say anything back then, but when I followed Shujinkou to where he found it, I noticed that the hallways were emptier then they should be. When we arrived, I found myself really impressed by the presentation. The class that prepared the Haunted House was able to create an atmosphere that made any visitor feel like they were truly in a derelict home. It also made me a little happy that Shujinkou could appreciate their efforts as well. We eventually discovered the back story of the house and, for one final scare, were assaulted by a costumed student. Naturally we were both scared, but something that really stuck out to me was how Shujinkou put himself between me and the apparent danger. I don't think he even realized that he did that, so I decided to keep it to myself.

When we were done, he soon pointed out my enjoyment of the house. I felt nervous as I agreed with his observation. I just knew that he would think I was weird for such a thing, but he once again alleviated my worries by assuring me that I wasn't the only one who enjoyed such things. I think that was when I really began to feel a little comfortable around him.

We then both realized that we had no other ideas of what to do next, leading to Shujinkou suggesting that we search for the others, starting with Natsuki. We searched the startling empty Carnival Games section of the school and eventually found Natsuki at a makeshift gun range, expressing her anger at how she was unable to hit any of the targets. Shujinkou suddenly shouted what sounded like a solution to something, catching Natsuki's attention. I always considered Natsuki's next few words towards Shujinkou to be somewhat rude, but she always seemed to that way when talking to him back then. Even though her temper could be short at times, she always appeared to be extra annoyed whenever they were around each other or even when he first appeared before us. I think it was actually after the school trip to his grandmother's resort when she started to become nicer to him.

But even though she was a little rude to him back then, Shujinkou still decided to stick up for her when she was insulted and helped her hit one of the targets. It was then when I contemplated that maybe Shujinkou didn't take pity on me earlier but was genuinely just being a very nice person, one of the qualities that I would come to like about him very much. That said... I know I'll sound terrible for saying this but... I felt a little jealous over how he helped her.

Not too long after, Sayori appeared and suggested we check out a big event that was happening in the Second-Year Hallway. As expected for such a large event, the line was long and we passed the time by telling one story with each of picking up after the other. Even though I was nervous on my turn and we all agreed that the story's tone was inconsistent, it was still fun to participate with the others. We soon made it to the front and I can confidently say that we were all surprised to discover what the "big event" was.

It was a maid café and it was clear that Monika was the reason why most of the school was there. I can understand why she didn't want to talk about it before. If it was me, I probably would have fainted from embarrassment, especially if the others showed up. I think the entire atmosphere was heavy for everyone. Natsuki seemed a little annoyed and Shujinkou kept his gaze down the entire time. Sayori tried to alleviate the tension, but it didn't really work.

Thankfully that heavy atmosphere stayed in the café and everyone was mostly able move past it. As we all headed home, I started to think how the day did not go the way I expected. I honestly expected to spend the day to myself, but instead I had a fun day with the club. It was really nice and I hoped that I could experience another day like that.