33

1 year later

♫︎..Every day you seem too far away
Every time you do I tell myself
I'm waiting here;

Every night I see you in my heart
Every time I do I end up crying
If I call you in the dark,
What I hear is my deep breath...♫︎

The winter breath of nature caressed Minho's face from the slightly opened window of the car, ruining his perfectly styled hair, yet bringing a wave of nostalgia in his heart.

Winter in Korea had always been Minho's favourite time of the year. Although he couldn't spend a few winters in his favourite places, he sure was glad that this year it changed.

He was there.

The driver that came to fetch him from the airport now relentlessly rushed the vehicle towards it's destined place, home.

As much as he didn't wanna admit it, Minho missed being home. It's like his heart always found a way to only reminisce the good times spent with his family, making him crave more for those moments.

Despite the rush of loneliness flowing through his heart, Minho held his smile high since he landed.

There were no Chan running to embrace his best friend, as it should've been, no family waiting for him to return at the gates of the airport.

None of that sort upset Minho.

Firstly, none of his friends knew he was coming back, only because Minho just happened to know about the party his best friend was throwing that night and he wanted to surprise them there.

What better of a post-birthday surprise could be for Chan than Him himself.

Drowning himself in good thoughts, Minho stepped outside his car as they had finally parked in front of his dad's mansion-like house.

I'm home.

"Mom!"

The women in her mid-forties rushed out of her room to see her son, standing in flesh, in the living room, smiling down at her.

A warm smile spreaded across Mrs Lee's face as she ran downstairs to capture Minho in a tight hug. Minho wrapped his arms around his mom's smaller figure.

They stayed silent.

Both of them letting the warmth of the other person's body devour them slowly. A warmth that they knew they missed more than anything else in the world.

Minho moved away first as he heard a quiet sniff coming from below. He locked eyes with his mother's tearful ones, a stab making it's way in his heart at the sight.

Even a year ago, Minho wouldn't have been much affected by the sight in front of him, but now he was different.

The emotions were more grown and the longing of being away from the women he had promised to protect with his life was a lot.

Same went for Minho's mom. No matter how strict she had been with her son, deep down she loved him more than anyone or anything else in the entire world.

So, right now, seeing and holding each other after more than 2 years left both of them in tears.

"Welcome back home, sweetie. Mum missed you so much." Mrs Lee flashed a beautiful smile in between her sobs.

Minho returned the smile as he embraced her once more.

"Minho, you're here!"

The mentioned guy looked up to face his father's smiling face. His smile faltered a little as soon as he made eye contact with Jihoon. "Hi, dad."

Exchanging a short greeting with his family, Minho excused himself to his room, explaining how he was tired from the long flight.

Minho entered his room. It was kept just the way he had left it to be. Although surely the maids cleaned and kept the room tidy, he knew it was his mother that looked after his things.

And he was thankful for that.

Minho let his body fall onto the bed, a deep sigh leaving his throat. He appeared to be calm even to himself, a collected young man ready to take over his father's company.

But in reality, he just wasn't. In reality, Minho was stuck. He was stuck in his head, in a headspace that made everything around him so so tiring.

His body, at this point, was on autopilot, receiving data and working per say. No signs of tiredness or distress were present, at least to other people. And maybe to Minho himself as well.

He couldn't remember the last time he checked himself on the mirror, or the last time he felt any sort of bliss bloom in his heart, or the last time he went anywhere to just let loose.

Although everything around him felt right in place, Minho's inside was empty.

He pitied himself. But found no energy or will to care about himself.

All he found himself doing was work and work only, draining his brain and body till it's last drop.

And when he wasn't working, he danced. Minho, this time, didn't let go of his passion.

He didn't quite understand himself as to why he kept doing that one thing that reminded him of the same person he desperately wanted to forget.

In the end, he just danced.

Not knowing why it felt fulfilling, he just danced.

"Minho, wake up. Let's have lunch."

Minho opened his eyes slowly to adjust to the brightness as he was gently being woken up by his mother.

"What time is it?" He yawned and stretched his aching body from the uncomfortable position he had been sleeping in.

"1 pm. Let's go, lunch is served. I'll be downstairs." Mrs Lee gave a sweet smile before leaving the room.

Minho smiled at the back of his mother's head, getting out of bed to change and have lunch with his family.

"So Minho, how is the project I signed you for going?"

They were all eating peacefully, Minho sitting right across his parents.

"I'm almost done. I'll submit it by the weekend." He replied his father.

"Honey, can you not talk about work here? He just came back home, give him a break."

And so, there was no work mentioned in the dining table further on as Minho's mom kept asking him about his life in LA.

Although there weren't many fascinating stories to tell, Minho was glad to share some nice things with his mother.

"Have you contacted Nori about your arrival?" Jihoon suddenly brought up.

Minho's face darkened at the mention of the girl his parents had had in mind for him. "No, dad," He replied nonchalantly.

"Why?" It was Mrs Lee that chimed in the conversation this time. "Should I arrange a meetup with Nori and Minjae? It'll be nice to gather again."

Minho stared at his mother's smiling face before forcing himself to reciprocate it. "Whatever you wish, mom."

He then stood up to make his way out of the dining room. "Excuse me now, I'll be meeting my friends tonight."

"Enjoy, son!"

He heard his mom's cheerful voice before completely blacking out their voices as he made his way to his room to get changed into something fancy.

Let's have some fun for a while.