13. Cheating

POV Bill

As Tom entered and expressed his desire to talk to me, I nodded in agreement. "Of course, Tom," Elise replied with a smile. "I was planning to go to sleep in my own room anyway."
Elise and I exchanged one last look before she turned to leave the room. Meanwhile, Tom began his story, but honestly, my attention had drifted elsewhere. It hurt to see her leave like that. I had actually had much more fun with this version of Elise in one day than in a whole year with my own Elise. Not that my Elise wasn't great, but this Elise was different - she was sweet, funny, and I somehow felt drawn to her.
"Are you even listening?" Tom interrupted my thoughts, waving his hands to get my attention.
Tom's question brought me back to reality. I shook my head to refocus my thoughts and looked at him seriously. "Sorry, Tom, I just got lost in my thoughts for a moment." I tried to hide my unusual fascination with the Elise from the other world, but I wasn't sure if I had been entirely successful.

It took a moment for Tom's words to sink in. My mind spun as I tried to process what he had just revealed. Last night, Tom had slept with the Elise from this world, my Elise. It felt like a punch to the gut, and I struggled to control my emotions.
"What?" I stammered, my voice trembling with disbelief and anger. "Do you have any idea what you've done, Tom? How could you...?" My words faltered as I stared at the ground, my fists clenched. This was a nightmare. My world was crumbling, and I had no idea how to deal with it.
Tom seemed aware of the seriousness of the situation and sighed deeply. "Bill, I'm really sorry. It was a stupid mistake, a misunderstanding. I wasn't thinking... I don't even remember... I don't know. I'm sorry."
I felt numb. My thoughts were spinning in circles as I struggled to understand what had happened. My feelings of confusion, anger, and sadness vied for dominance. It was as if my world was falling apart, and I had no idea how to pick up the pieces.
"Bill, please," Tom pleaded, tears glistening in his eyes. "I know I've done something unforgivable, but please, understand me. It was never my intention to hurt you or Elise."
I stared at the ground, unable to look at him. This was a betrayal of the highest order, a blow I had never seen coming. How could I ever look at my own brother the same way again? And what was I supposed to do with Elise, the girl I loved?
The room filled with an icy silence as I grappled with the fragments of my world seemingly falling apart.
Tom stared at the ground, seemingly overwhelmed by guilt, while I wondered how all of this had happened.
"Bill," Tom began tentatively, "I know this... this is unforgivable. I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry."
I couldn't find words to respond. My throat felt tight, my heart pounding like a drumbeat in my chest.
Tom continued, his voice heavy with shame. "It was a moment of weakness, Bill. I can't even remember how it started, but it was a terrible mistake. Elise and I, we... we had too much to drink, and we..."
I didn't want to hear more details. The thought of Elise with my own brother was already unbearable. I stood up and walked around the room, running my hands through my hair, searching for some form of peace or relief.
Tom approached me, trying to get my attention. "Bill, please, say something. What do we do now?"
My head was spinning, and I couldn't form coherent thoughts. I looked at Tom, my eyes filled with anger and sadness.
After a long period of silence, I finally broke the ice. "Tom, I can't do anything without my twin brother, no matter how angry I am and how much this hurts. But please understand that this can't be forgotten easily. We have to get through this together, because we have no other choice."
Tom nodded, his eyes glinting with remorse. "I know, Bill. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make things right, even if it takes a very long time."
Tom stared back, his eyes filled with tears. "Bill, I can't say enough how sorry I am. I want to make this right if you give me a chance."
Bill sighed deeply and walked over to Tom, embracing him tightly. "We have to get through this together, Tom. We're blood brothers, forever connected."
We talked for hours, struggling with our feelings and uncertainties. In the end, we realized that there were no simple solutions to the mess we had created. But we were determined to try, to preserve our bond as twins and to rebuild what had been lost.