18. What the f*ck Tom

While I sat there, my head bent over my coffee, I let Tom's words replay in my mind. It was confusing and overwhelming. Tom seemed to genuinely have feelings for the other Elise. The idea that she had cheated on Bill with Tom was shocking enough, but now it appeared that Tom was seriously involved with her.
I wondered why the Elise from this world had chosen to switch realities. Maybe she had gotten herself into a difficult situation and wanted a fresh start. Or perhaps something else was going on that I didn't understand. Either way, it was clear that this situation was complicated, and I had become entangled in it.
While lost in my thoughts, I was suddenly interrupted by the sound of coughing and shuffling. I looked up and saw Gustav sitting across from me. His friendly smile welcomed me into the new day.
"Good morning, you're up early," Gustav remarked. I nodded, and without hesitation, he asked, "How's Bill?" I had answered this question earlier today.
"I think Bill is really struggling," I replied sincerely. "It's just a very confusing situation, and I feel terrible about it."
Gustav nodded in understanding and said, "I'm surprised that Bill still wants to be around you. He'd never drop Tom, so I thought he'd blame you for everything."
I wasn't sure how to respond to that comment. Just then, Georg entered, providing a welcome distraction. I greeted him with a smile and hoped that this conversation wouldn't continue where Gustav had left off.
Georg entered and immediately lightened the mood. He chuckled and said, "Don't tell me you two are having an affair too!" We all burst into laughter, and Gustav added, "Too soon, bro."
I offered Georg a cup of coffee, and we started discussing the movie we had watched together yesterday. It felt good to relax and enjoy each other's company, away from all the complications and problems that had arisen.
While we were chatting merrily, Tom suddenly returned to the common area. Georg, always ready with a joke, greeted him with a teasing comment: "There's our sleeping Beauty!" We all laughed, but Tom's face was deadly serious.
Then he burst out, "Why won't you give us a chance, Elise? I'm so in love with you!" My eyes widened in surprise. Georg and Gustav looked shocked too. Georg immediately took action and gave Tom a shove, clearly taken aback by his confession.
Tom's revelation caused a lot of turmoil, and Georg couldn't contain his frustration any longer. "Tom, you can't be serious!" he exclaimed. "Haven't you caused enough trouble? You've slept with her, for God's sake!" Gustav tried to calm the situation: "Can you guys keep it down? Bill might hear everything."
Georg grabbed Tom's arm and dragged him forward in the bus, away from us.
As the bus came to a halt, Gustav asked, "What does this mean?" "Tom was here for you guys and then said he couldn't forget me. I told him to get me out of his head."
Suddenly, Bill stood behind us and looked into my eyes as I turned around, probably to see which version of Elise was present. I gave him a slight nod to let him know it was me, and I saw him visibly relax.
"Good morning, Bill," Gustav began. "Why is the bus stopped?" he asked immediately.
Gustav continued, "Tom and Georg... they went outside for a smoke."
Bill, apparently unaware of the earlier events, reacted calmly: "Oh yeah, I could use a cigarette too. Are you coming?"
Gustav tried to stop Bill and said, "You know we're supposed to smoke as little as possible on the tour, Bill."
Bill shrugged and replied, "Yeah, if the others can do it, so can we, right, Elise?"
I didn't know what to do and looked at Gustav in panic. Eventually, Gustav agreed and said, "Okay, okay, I'll go first." He went outside noisily to let Tom and Georg know they were coming.

I'm outside with the band and see that Tom seems to have calmed down without saying anything. Bill offers me a cigarette, but I politely decline. I'm not a smoker. However, Tom immediately notices and says, "Oh, Elise, you used to smoke more than all of us combined." I feel caught and respond, "I quit." It's a white lie because I don't want to admit that I'm not the Elise they think I am. Now I also know that the other Elise used to be a smoker.
Suddenly, David storms outside and starts giving a lecture. "You all know you're not supposed to smoke during the tour. Bill, especially you, you need to save your voice!! We didn't smoke yesterday," grumbles Tom. David contemplates for a moment and then says, "Hmm, we still have a few hours of driving, and we should be at the concert venue by noon." Everyone extinguishes their cigarettes and goes back into the tour bus. The atmosphere is tense after David's reprimand.