41. My Mother

In my mother's room, a cold atmosphere hung in the air. The sound of medical equipment filled the space with soft, rhythmic beeps and buzzing noises. My mother lay pale and fragile in the hospital bed, surrounded by tubes and cables attached to various machines. Her eyes were closed, and I could see the weariness on her face.
I approached the bed cautiously and gently stroked her pale cheek. Her skin felt cool, and a lump formed in my throat as I looked at her. It was heartbreaking to see my mother like this, weak and in need. I carefully took a seat beside her and held her hand.
As I held her cool fingers, I closed my eyes and focused, summoning all my willpower to travel back home, back to my own world where everything was normal again. The sounds in the hospital room faded, and I tried to concentrate fully on my breathing. It was a challenging and intense process, and I wasn't sure if it would work. But I had no choice but to try.
My concentration was abruptly shattered by my mother's piercing scream. I opened my eyes and met her confused and fearful gaze. Her voice was saturated with anger and despair as she shouted, "Who are you? What are you doing here?" My heart pounded in my chest, and my breath caught in my throat. I tried to stay calm and said with a trembling voice, "Mom, it's me, Elise, your daughter."
But my mother seemed to be miles away from understanding what I was saying. Her eyes were wild, and she continued to scream that she had never had children, that I was a stranger. In her confusion, she pressed a button next to her bed.
At that very moment, Bill entered the room. He saw the confusion and panic on my face and immediately understood the severity of the situation. He stepped towards me and firmly grabbed my arm. "Elise, we need to leave here quickly," he urgently whispered, glancing at the approaching hospital staff. "They're starting to realize that something's not right."
Bill led me out of the room as my mother continued to scream, and the staff in the hallway began to gather. It was a chaotic and frightening situation. I feared someone would stop us before reaching the exit. The staff did indeed begin to realize that something was amiss, but fortunately, we were just quick enough not to be noticed. Bill and I navigated through the maze-like hospital corridors, not precisely knowing where we were going. We turned corners, dodged nurses and doctors, and did everything we could to remain unnoticed. It felt like an eternity before we finally reached the hospital's exit.
Once outside, we gasped for breath from the adrenaline. We looked around to see if we were being pursued, but it seemed we had escaped without anyone noticing us. We ran to the nearest taxi and got in.

In the taxi, as the miles between us and the hospital increased, I finally let my tears flow. The desperation and disappointment of not being able to return to my own world deeply affected me. I had hoped that my mother was my only link to my real life, and through her, I could reach my world.
Bill noticed my sadness and pulled me close to him. His arms felt warm and reassuring. He comforted me with soft words, calming my sobs.
"Elise," he began, his words infused with care, "I know this is difficult, and I can't imagine what it must be like for you to see your mother like that. But for this woman, unfortunately, you are a stranger."
His fingers caressed my back, and his touch was comforting. He continued, "But we're here together, and we'll find a way, okay? You're not alone in this world. I'm here for you, no matter what happens. Maybe we just need a little more time to find the right way to return. We'll figure this out, Elise, step by step."
His words brought some comfort and warmth to my saddened heart. I looked at him, my eyes still filled with tears, and nodded. Bill understood me like no one else could, and in his presence, I felt a bit stronger, a bit less lost.
With his fingers, he brushed away my tears and wiped away each tear as if promising to take away my sorrow. Then he leaned towards me and pressed a gentle kiss on my forehead. His lips felt warm and reassuring.
Almost back at the tour bus, Bill quickly pulled out a €50 note and tossed it to the taxi driver as payment. He asked if the driver could take an extra route before bringing us back to the tour bus. The taxi driver nodded in understanding and proceeded with the new route Bill suggested.
Bill and I sat silently in the taxi, with the city passing by. The ride gave me time to regain control of my emotions and reflect on Bill's words. He was right; we would find a way together to return to where I belonged.
Bill and I didn't talk much during that ride, but sometimes, no words are needed to understand what someone means to you. We shared a glance that spoke more than a thousand words.
After a while, we arrived back at the tour bus. Bill and I got out and thanked the driver again. With Bill by my side, I felt stronger and determined to fight for a solution to return to my world.