89. Mom?

I stood in front of the door of room 210, which I knew I still had to clean. The key hung from my belt, but at that moment, my duties as a maid seemed distant. With my belongings in hand, I walked towards my boss's office. I could no longer postpone a conversation with him, and an anxious feeling crept over me. I stood at the door of Mr. DeVries' office, my hands trembling slightly as I knocked. The door opened slowly, and Mr. DeVries looked at me with a calm gaze. "Ah, Elise," he said softly. I was surprised at how suddenly calm my boss was. "Sir, may I have a word with you?" I politely asked. "I actually needed you," he replied in a calm tone. He fully opened his door, and to my surprise, I saw Bill sitting right across from my boss. A smile appeared on Bill's face when he saw me enter.
I immediately felt nervous, knowing that my boss wouldn't just let me talk to Bill. What was going on? Mr. DeVries gestured for me to take a seat while Bill looked at me reassuringly. Mr. DeVries gestured for me to take a seat once again. With a mix of confusion and curiosity, I sat down as my boss explained the situation. "Elise, I understand there has been a misunderstanding. That's why I want to apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced." I felt a mix of relief and amazement. It was unprecedented for my boss to apologize. "Thank you, sir," I stammered, not knowing what else to say. Bill took the floor. "I've spoken with Mr. DeVries, and we believe it's unfair that you're being punished for this. It was a misunderstanding, and we want to make sure you don't lose your job." I looked at Bill gratefully. It was almost unreal that he was advocating for my situation.
"So, I'm not fired?" I asked Mr. DeVries with certainty. "No, Elise, you can resume your work as usual," he calmly replied. "Thank you," I said again, relieved that my job was saved. I stood up, and together with Bill, we left the office.

"Thank you, Bill, for saving my job," I said when we were outside. As we walked through the halls, I noticed he had matured a lot. He smiled and replied that it was the least he could do for me. We walked together through the hotel corridors, and Bill asked how long I had been working at this hotel. "Long," I answered, "Way too long, but this isn't really my dream job." Bill nodded in understanding. As we continued walking, Bill asked, "Why do you work here then?" I sighed. "Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to survive. I used to have a different life, but that's over now." I felt there were more questions in his eyes, but he didn't ask. Perhaps he understood that some things were too painful to talk about.
We arrived at the hallway where room 210 was located. "Here I am," I said, pointing to my door. "Thank you, Bill, for everything." He smiled again. "Elise," he said with uncertainty in his voice, "would you like to come to our concert tonight?" It seemed wonderful to be away and relax for a while. My heart leaped at the idea, but the reality of my work forced me to a disappointing answer. "Sorry, Bill, I have to work tonight. But I wish you a great show." He smiled understandingly. "Do you work tomorrow?" he asked. I nodded affirmatively. "Okay, that's fine," he said. "During your lunch break, we'll grab a bite together. It's the least you can do for saving your job." He winked. "Deal," I said to Bill. "See you tomorrow." He continued on his way to his room, and I went to room 210 to clean up the mess there.

As I worked hard to get room 210 in order, by evening, there was no trace left of the wild party. There was a knock on the door, and before I could respond, Mr. DeVries was already inside to check my work. "Hmm, looks good, Elise," he said, using a finger to check if there was any dust left. But then there was a threatening undertone in his voice. "But don't think Mr. Kaulitz will always save you. My revenge will be sweet," he whispered in my ear. His words were like a cold shiver running down my spine. I could see the hatred in his eyes and knew that I wasn't rid of him.
I swallowed the threat and tried to keep my composure. "Thank you, Mr. DeVries," I replied politely. He gave me a smirking look and left the room, leaving me with an uncomfortable feeling. I packed my things and headed home. The strange thing was that my mother still hadn't called back, and I hoped she had just forgotten to do so. I struggled with my key, as always when I came home. When I entered, I saw my mother still sitting in front of the TV, in the same place as this morning. "Mom?" I called, but she didn't respond. As I approached, I saw from her handkerchief that she had coughed up blood. It didn't look good, and I immediately called an ambulance. Panic set in as I waited for the emergency services. What was happening to my mother, I couldn't say for sure, but the bleeding was concerning.