17. Good morning

While Bill peacefully fell asleep after the playful wrestling with Tom, I found myself growing restless. Thoughts of my own world, my own life, started resurfacing. I knew I couldn't stay here, no matter how much I wanted to be part of this new reality.
I grabbed my laptop and began searching for clues on how to return to my own world. After some digging, I found an article suggesting that I needed to find valuable items or people from my other life to ease the transition. My thoughts immediately went to my mother, whom I missed so much.
I checked our busy tour schedule and noticed that we had a show in Germany in four days, followed by two days off. It was a rare opportunity to make a quick visit to my mother in this world. I knew I needed her to return to where I belonged.
Although I had enjoyed this world and the special bond with Bill and the guys, I felt that it was time to pick up my own life again. I needed to go back to my own reality, to my mother who was waiting for me.
As I closed my laptop, I couldn't help but think about how the Elise of this world probably suffered from insomnia, just like I was at this moment and the night before.
In the soft glow of the moonlight, I looked at Bill, who was sleeping peacefully. He had done so much for me since I arrived here, and I couldn't ignore the fact that I cared for him, even if I knew I didn't belong here.
I lay in the narrow tour bus bed, desperately trying to fall asleep. My thoughts were racing, and I kept tossing and turning. Just when I thought I would never be able to sleep, I felt Bill shift a little. He put his arm around me and began gently stroking my back. His touch was reassuring and slowly calmed me down. His heartbeat was steady and rhythmic, and I focused on the sound of it.
Slowly but surely, I began to relax. Bill's presence next to me brought me a sense of comfort and security, and I started to drift into a deep, restful sleep. His soothing touch and the warmth of his body beside me were exactly what I needed to finally fall asleep.

I woke up early next to Bill, and it felt like sleep had completely abandoned me. I lay still for a while, hoping to fall back asleep, but it was in vain.
Quietly, I slipped out of the narrow bed to avoid waking Bill. I quickly put on a comfortable sweater and tiptoed out of the bedroom. When I entered the tour bus's common area, I saw that Tom was already there, sipping a cup of coffee.
"Good morning," I greeted him as he got up to make a second cup of coffee. Tom had clearly woken up early as well.
"Good morning," he replied, and he poured a cup of coffee for me. "Still dealing with insomnia?"
I nodded as I accepted the cup of coffee. "Yes, it seems I'm suffering from insomnia here. But at least it gives me some time to think."
Tom looked at me thoughtfully and hesitated for a moment before asking, "How's Bill doing now?"
I took a sip of my coffee and sighed softly before responding. "He was really hurt and upset by the whole situation," I began. "But I'm also glad that your bond seems to be intact. Bill and you are, after all, twin brothers, and I can imagine how important that bond is to both of you."
Tom nodded in understanding and seemed relieved that the situation between them hadn't deteriorated further. He refilled his coffee. "I'm really worried about him," he admitted.
Tom looked me directly in the eyes and asked a question that completely caught me off guard. "Elise, do you ever think back to our night?" His question left me completely flustered, and I felt myself blushing.
I wasn't sure how to respond, but Tom continued before I could reply. "I can't help it," he admitted honestly, "I keep thinking about you."
I stammered a bit, unsure of what to say. "Tom, it was just a mistake, okay? It should never have happened."
"I never want to do anything that would hurt Bill, and you can't do that either. You have to get me out of your head, Tom."
Tom mumbled something inaudible and got up. He left the common area without saying anything else. It had been an uncomfortable conversation, and I hoped it wouldn't cause further problems between the band members.