59. Thank you Bill

After a while, when my tears finally began to dry, Bill gently lifted my face with his hands. His gaze was full of concern and compassion, and he smiled slightly to reassure me.
"Are you feeling a bit better, Elise?" he asked softly. I nodded, unable to speak immediately. His thumbs gently wiped the remaining tears from my cheeks.
"It's just so difficult, Bill. I'm here enjoying dinner with your family while my mother is all alone in my world, and I have no idea how she's doing. It feels like I've abandoned her."
Bill tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled comfortingly. "You haven't abandoned her, Elise," he said softly. "You can't help ending up in this world. Please don't feel guilty, dear Elise."
I sighed and looked away. "I know you're right, Bill, but it's just so hard to be here and realize that I might never be able to go back to my own world."
Bill placed his fingers under my chin and gently turned my head back to him. "We will find a solution together, okay? I won't let you down, and I promise we will try to find a way to bring you back to your mother, no matter how difficult it may be."
I stared into his eyes and saw sincere determination and compassion. A warm feeling of gratitude overwhelmed me. Bill gave me strength and the hope I needed.
"Thank you, Bill," I whispered. "It means a lot to me that you're here for me."
"You're strong, Elise," Bill replied as he kissed my forehead. He stood up and helped me to my feet. His hands felt warm and reassuring as he pulled me up, away from the cold bathroom tiles.
I looked in the mirror and quickly tried to fix my disheveled hair and makeup. Tears had left traces on my face, but I didn't want others to notice that I had cried. My eyes met the reflection of a girl struggling with her own feelings of guilt and sorrow, but with Bill by my side, I felt stronger. Bill stood behind me, smiling encouragingly, as if to say that I still looked beautiful.
Then I felt his arms around me, and he pulled me gently against him. His embrace was warm and reassuring, and I leaned against him for a moment, grateful for his understanding and support.
"Together, we'll get through this, Elise," he said softly. "Don't let everything overwhelm you. Tonight, we'll come up with a solution together, and you don't have to feel guilty now. Everyone here loves you immensely."
Together, we walked back into the hallway, hand in hand, and joined the rest of the family at the table. Simone and Omi sat on either side of the table, chatting happily with the rest of the family. Simone looked up when she saw us coming in and smiled at me. Omi winked at me, and I gratefully smiled back.
Bill and I sat at the table, feeling surrounded by warmth and love. This family, despite not being mine, had welcomed me with open arms, and their affection was heartwarming.

After everyone left, we saw Simone slump tiredly into the couch. She let out a deep sigh and mumbled something about the dishes, which she clearly didn't want to do anymore. Her shoulders slumped momentarily, and I felt genuine sympathy for this woman who had put all her energy into preparing the meal. My hands itched to help her with the dishes, and I offered my assistance.
"Simone, shall I do the dishes for you?" I asked sincerely.
Simone looked at me with a grateful smile and shook her head. "No, that's really not necessary, dear." Gordon, sitting beside her, nodded approvingly and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.
Gordon gave Simone a gentle kiss on her forehead and said affectionately, "Well done, Simone." It was clear that their love and respect for each other were deeply rooted, and I felt privileged to witness their loving bond.
I decided to take a moment to retreat and change into something more comfortable. The twins followed me upstairs and flopped onto the old sofa. In a corner of the room, I took off my dress and exchanged it for comfortable sweatpants and a loose sweater.
When I reappeared, I stood in front of the television screen and addressed them kindly. "Hey, guys," I greeted them with a smile, "it's the last evening with your mom and Gordon. Let's watch TV downstairs with them."
Tom responded with a sigh, clearly not thrilled about the idea. "They always watch those boring shows." He didn't seem entirely convinced, but Bill interrupted. "Elise is right," he said with a wink at me, "mom would love it if we could sit with her and Gordon for a while." The twins exchanged a glance and eventually gave in. The three of us walked back downstairs to conclude the evening in the company of their family.

When we arrived downstairs, we took our seats in front of the television. Simone looked surprised and asked, "What are you guys doing now?"
Tom replied with a wink, "We're joining for TV." Bill added, "What are you watching?"
Gordon laughed and said, "A quiz in which Heidi Klum is a contestant!" Tom couldn't help but say admiringly, "Wow, what a woman!" Both Bill and I burst into laughter.
We had an extraordinarily enjoyable evening. The entire family sat in front of the television, participating in the quiz on TV. It was Simone and me against the boys, and the competitive atmosphere in the room resulted in much laughter and fun. The quiz questions weren't always easy, but we did our best to answer them correctly.
During one of the questions, Simone and I had a lead, creating a lot of excitement. The boys tried to catch up, but we maintained our lead.
During the commercial breaks, Simone whispered quietly to me, "Thanks for the delightful evening." I subtly nodded to let her know that I was also very happy. It felt good to be a part of their family and share these precious moments with them. Together with Simone, we ultimately won the quiz, leading to much joy and ending the evening on a high note.