Part Forty-Six

Part Forty-Six… Warzone

But I know,
I just gotta let it go,
I, should've known
I gotta learn to say goodbye now
I throw my armour down,
And leave the battleground
For the final time now,
I, I know.
I'm running from a warzone

~Warzone, The Wanted

Liam’s POV

Molly said she had to leave again at around twelve on the Saturday again. She’s been ringing ‘Jer’ a lot still…

A month ago I would have said there was no way Molly would cheat on me. But she’s been leaving early for the past two weeks, and she’d been leaving before that but it wasn’t as frequent; there was also an article about her cheating on me in a magazine, the phone calls with the mysterious ‘Jer’. I know I shouldn’t believe what the magazines say… but I can’t help it. I love her, I really do, and if she’s having an affair with this ‘Jer’ I don’t know how I’ll cope.

I got an idea and whilst Molly was getting her bag ready; she didn’t bother saying goodbye to me anymore, because I didn’t reply or even acknowledge her. She left the apartment promptly. I pulled on my shoes and quickly followed her, making sure I wasn’t seen.

She walked into the café near my apartment; we’d walked past it a couple of times, but never been in it. I frowned and stayed where I was for a while, she didn’t leave. I walked over to the bench opposite the café and sat there for a while, soaking up the unusual but great English sun. I watched for a while people began walking in. At about two o’clock an elderly woman walked out and across the street and sat next to me.

“You must be Jeremy,” She smiled at me.

“Excuse me?” I frowned.

“I noticed you watching Molly from here,” The woman smiled.

“Oh,” I muttered, not correcting her, I wanted to hear what she said.

“She sings your praises, you know, it’s obvious she loves you,” She smiled fondly at me, and I felt the lump rise in my throat, I just nodded, “Yes, she’s forever talking about you, she gets so excited when you ring her, and ask to meet up.”

“Uh-huh,” I muttered.

“Don’t waste your time out here, go in there and talk to her, she’ll be so happy to see you,” The elderly woman smiled, clueless. “Well, I must go, the bingos starting soon,” The woman patted my arm and hobbled off. I thought carefully about what she had said.

I should speak to Molly. It’s been coming for a while now, and I can’t put it off any longer. I walked over the road to the café slowly, dragging out the time as long as possible. This is it. This is crunch time. The moment I get all my answers. I just hope it’s the answers I want to hear, not what I fear hearing. This reminds me of our song ‘Tell Me A Lie’. I wish she would tell me a lie, and tell me what I want to hear, not the truth.

I stood outside the door for a while, wondering what I was going to say. Should I go in? Should I talk to her later? Should I pretend I don’t know? I took a deep breath and made my decision; I placed one hand on the door and pushed it open, hearing the bell tinkle above me, signalling to everyone I had entered the café.