𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿

══☆⌒*

Forty-four

ˏˋ°•*

"What's this?"

( An art project....Okay I like it. Picasso. )

The assassin peered down at the envelope resting in her hands, confused. Her eyes trailed up back to Mark, furrowing her brows at him as his eyes laxed from her disgruntled face to the piece of paper in her hand, intrigued.

"A letter was sent directly to you from the King of Nethilor."

"To me? Why? How do you know?"

"Here. See the wax stamp? That's the royal symbol of Nethilor and that writing...that's Choi Minho's handwriting."

This was why Mark couldn't wait for Beomgyu to finish his sentence. This was why he had to intervene. Whatever's in that letter could be serious and he didn't want to be at fault for not properly delivering it to his guest.

"Oh", was all that left the dumbstruck girl's lips. She kept glancing at the letter, biting the inside of her cheek as she conversed with herself in her mind.

"Well, I'll leave you be. I hope you have a wonderful evening Miss Soojin."

Right after Minhyung disappeared from the assassin's side, she forcefully ripped the envelope open, eyes widening in shock as they trailed over the words scribbled on the paper.

The paper read-

Did you forget what you came here to do?

Did you forget the main reason why you're here? Why you're in my castle? Why you're with MY son? Must I remind you who you're loyal to? Must I remind you your duty as an Assassin?

How foolish is that boy for not realizing sooner... I've truly raised a monster as a son, a disappointment to my title and worse yet, a failure to his mother.

Kill him now.

Do what you initially came here to do.

Fulfil those duties.

Bring me my pendant. I don't give a fuck about his head. Just kill him and bring me my pendant.

If you don't, there will be consequences Kang Haeun.

The words stopped abruptly at the girl's real name etched in ink on the piece of paper. She swallowed the lump in her throat, lifting her trembling arms up to the reach of her forehead, wiping away the new formed sweat that sat there.

"He knows."

"Oh my god....it all makes sense now."

"The handwriting is very similar to the letter sent by client 47...and the ring. The ring- it's the same-"

-Flashback-

"Your majesty, might I ask...how did the queen die?" Haeun pressed her lips into a thin line as she relaxed into the soft cushioned chair at the dining table. She gently pushed her empty platter aside, now patiently awaiting for a response from the distinguished man sitting at the head of the table.

It was just the two of them in the dining hall, all alone. Beomgyu skipped dinner, the usual, Taehyun was with Beomgyu skipping dinner, and Kai was too busy with his duties to sit normally for a nice quiet dinner.

Haeun kept her gaze locked on the presence of the man in the room, watching intently as his demeanor changed by the sudden mention of the queen. Was she asking something she shouldn't? All she wanted was to know more. What she heard from Taehyun wasn't enough to grasp and she just couldn't help the curiosity dwelling inside of her.

She wanted to know the real reason why Beomgyu was like how he was.

"The queen....", Minho sighed, falling back into the grooves of the chair. He fixed his attention elsewhere, allowing his mind to linger on the thought of his wife and her death.

"She was murdered."

A brief moment of silence engrossed the room and only the sound of breathing resonated in the stillness of the air. Haeun was simply confused for she heard that the queen died of natural causes from Taehyun but now she was hearing something completely different from the king himself.

"But Taehyun told me he was told she succumbed to her so-called condition and died.." The assassin trailed off eagerly, squinting her eyes at the words that still loitered in the unchanging atmosphere.

A low continuous chuckle left the man's slightly parted lips, notoriously. "Is that what he tells them? Is that what Taehyun heard from Beomgyu? Haha--"

"No sir, that's what Taehyun heard from you. You told him she had succumbed to her condition and died."

"Oh."

"Who was she murdered by? And why do you think of your son as a monster?"

"Enough, Soojin."

Haeun was silenced quickly by the king's uncomfortable figure that shifted slightly in his chair. He glared at the girl, almost seeming to be mad at her but his expression threw his entire demeanor off, for a smirk was ghosting the corner of his lips.

The girl sighed, getting up from her side of the table to leave the room but was suddey stopped when she felt the hands of none other than the king's on hers.

Her eyes were glued to the accessory clinging around his thick finger and the feeling of deja vu struck her.

Why do I feel like I've seen this exact ring before...

An emerald dragon ring clung to the man's finger. The edge was chipped and the eyes were painted black and the ring itself seemed too expensive for a normal person to be wearing it. It looked exactly like the one she saw on client's 47 finger. It was too similar.

"You shouldn't ask questions you don't want the answer to."

-End of flashback-

Haeun turned the paper over just in case anything was written at the back of it like before and indeed there was something jotted down in black ink, hidden from view.

Your sister and that assassin Youngjae must miss you so much. It wouldn't hurt if I paid them a visit to keep them company now, would it?

If you don't kill Beomgyu, they'll be dead instead.

The assassin let out a low chuckle, sucking in a very deep breath to calm herself. She placed the letter aside, mind calm but figure daunting as she stood there with her back leaning against the wall.

"Of course it was him. Choi Minho wants his son dead. He also wants his pendant. But why? Why do all of that just for a pendant. There must be something valuable in that pendant..."

Her expression fell cold and rigid when she noticed Beomgyu with another girl again. It was Minji. The princess had her hands wrapped around the immaculate figure of the prince and her head was resting on his chest as they slowly moved to the beat on the dancefloor.

The thing that shocked her the most was the fact that Minji shot her a malicious look before crashing her lips on the prince who didn't seemed bothered at all by her actions-- or well so Haeun thought.

"Tch...men." The assassin scoffed, rolling her eyes as she walked away from the pair.

An incoherent exasperated chuckle left Haeun's parted lips. She wasn't mad at him, she was mad at herself. She was mad at herself for feeling the way she did when he was around or when he spoke to her with such kindness.

It was her fault anyway. She got carried away while on a mission. But now, she was going to end it.

· • -- ٠ ✤ ٠ -- • ·

A/n
I- short but doable.
Have a great day/night everyone <3