𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

݄꒱......

A hint of a musky earthy scent plagued the early morning's air. Tiny droplets of water gleamed on the apex of all the leaves in the short distance of the horizon as a white carriage protrude from the hilly pathway. Every now and then the wheels of the moving carriage would be submerged slightly in muddy water as it continued to roll forward on the trail leading out of a dreary forested territory.

Birds chirped sweetly together as the orange sun peaked out from the distance in front. They sang harmonically for another new day had dawned upon them.

Beomgyu's eyes fluttered open and along he expelled a low groan as he tried to recollect his memories and adjust himself to what his eyes were projecting. His hand crawled up its way behind his head, gently rubbing it due to the shockwave of pain that surged through his scalp from specifically one centered area. He was slowly but surely recollecting his thoughts and then it finally hit him. The moment of realization dawned upon him, leaving the royal dumbfounded.

She knocked me out- that mischievous delinquent knocked me out-!

Beomgyu's eyes darted across the open space around him, his mouth was left slightly agape as he absorbed everything happening in his midst. Where am I? Where is she? What's going on? How long was I out for?

The Prince shifted in the seat of the moving carriage, rubbing his eyes to get rid of the hazy sensation that clouded his gaze. He finally snapped himself out of the sheepish trance, back to face the full brunt of reality as it is.

The boy pushed his head out through the window of the carriage, trailing his eyes over to the person sitting atop directing the horses. Red and black velvet dress, butterfly clips in her golden brown hair...it was definitely her.

"The assassin", the prince muttered in an undertone. That was the first time he had ever refer to her as that.

"So you're finally awake." Haeun spoke bluntly. Her gaze was pinned up front in the distance but she was able to feel the presence of the royal without having to look. He was taken aback by her sudden remark but quickly gathered his composure, now climbing his way up to where she was sitting.

"How long was I out for?" -Beomgyu

Silence coated the atmosphere between them but quickly dissipated when the girl was ready to answer.

"Hmmm, about an entire day, give or take a few hours." The assassin responded dryly, keeping her gaze upfront. Beomgyu silently absorbed that information, a tad bit shocked at the fact that he had slept for such a lengthy amount of time.

The pair were indulged in the quietness of their surroundings once more but Beomgyu's intrusive thoughts got the better of him, unable to keep quiet after the events that recently occurred.

"You...", the boy began in an irregular manner. "You hit me..!" He huffed out sassily, accusing the girl with exaggeration.

"Yeah, well that was the only way to get you to shut up. It was so much easier carrying your unconscious body than it would be if I had to carry you while you were still able to talk." Haeun chuckled sarcastically, stealing a glance at the royal who was already gazing directly at her. For a moment she was physically unable to take her eyes off of the royal. When she looked at him she felt bad. She felt guilt. Raging guilt. It pained her.

Haeun bit the inside of her cheek, breaking away from the eyes of the prince.

"You-" -Beomgyu

"Look-" -Haeun

Both of them halted suddenly, breaking into a small giggle at the unusual moment.

"You go first." Beomgyu suggested softly, allowing the girl her chance to speak.

The assassin took in a big breath, trailing her eyes to where her feet were, keeping them there.

"Look, I know what I did was unacceptable and there's no way you'd be able to forgive me but..., I hope you know I didn't just do it for some stupid reason. Like I said before, I did it because of my sister. She's really all that I have left. I have no other blood family other than her. She means the world to me, Beomgyu. I had to- I had to find some way to help us stay alive. You can hate me all you want for how I lied to you or for how I was backstabbing you but I had no other choice."

The prince stayed silent as he listened to her wholeheartedly.

"At the time I didn't know the identity of the person who hired me. I was left in the dark on that end. So I had no clue your father was the one who wanted to end your life so cruelly. But soon I finally pieced it together. I know I said some things to you back then, some things I didn't mean and I'd like to clarify something before I fuck up anything else. Some time along the way, I found myself questioning if I should do what I was hired to do. I found myself wondering if someone like you deserved all that pain. Beomgyu, I listened to you. I listened and saw how much you were hurting and don't think for a second I didn't care... because I did. I really did. I cared so much about you, it hurts. It really does. I felt so bad when I realized what I had caused. I felt bad knowing that I had built myself on those lies. Those lies that I fed all of you. The lies that I told myself as well. You don't deserve this. You don't deserve this pain you have to suffer. You really...don't."

"I know I won't have your forgiveness but I hope you know how much I cared."

The boy stared at Haeun dumbfounded. It was as though all the thoughts that were swirling around his mind had vanished and the words of the assassin were echoing in his brain on repeat. He couldn't believe his ears. He couldn't believe it.

He wanted to cry.

It was stupid but he wanted to break down.

He wanted to engulf the girl in a hug.

He wanted nothing more.

This was exactly what he was yearning to hear his entire life since his mother died.

He wanted to hear someone say they cared about him.

All he wanted were to hear those words.

And he finally had the chance from someone who was tasked with killing him.

Haeun let out a sigh, forcing herself to hide the tears that threatened to roll down her cheeks.

"You won't have to see any more of me when we reach Midver's town square. I will be gone from your life, your highness. The last thing I wanted to do was to at least save you from your father. Now he won't get you here. Though you'll be living life as a refuge, you'll be far away from him."

"I'm sorry for all the troubles I put you through. Now, you won't have to be burdened with my deceptive presence anymore, your highness." The girl bowed her head down, filled with nothing but guilt and sadness.

Right as Haeun was wrapping up her sentence the carriage came to a complete hault. They had finally arrived in the small village of Midver.

This was where it was decided that Beomgyu had to depart from her, for the best.

· • -- ٠ ✤ ٠ -- • ·