𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗙𝗶𝗳𝘁𝘆-𝗼𝗻𝗲

𓆩𓆪......

"It's a really long story, Gyu. I'll explain some other time."

"Oi!? What do you mean some other time? You knew Youngjae the entire time?? God-"

The royal held his breath, obnoxiously pausing midway to compose himself. He raked his fingers through his hair, ruffling it due to underlying confusion.

"You knew Youngjae the entire time-- yet you acted like you were so clueless-! You made yourself seem so...so feeble and helpless." The boy grumbled out bitterly, pacing around the girl, agitated.

"You managed to deceive me so well...I'm certainly impressed, dear." Beomgyu chuckled in an undertone, glancing at the girl with a hint of pleasant satisfaction taunting his facial expression.

"T-Thanks, I guess." Haeun bit her lip, stealing a quick glance at the prince beside her who happened be to staring directly at her already. She quickly turned away, placing her attention elsewhere.

"Well? Aren't you gonna explain to me how you know him? Hey! Are you like his...daughter or something?! Oh god, wait..no that doesn't make sense. Your parents died so...yeah no forget I ever said that." The boy rambled on uncontrollably, pricking the deadly silence the enveloped the poorer, more impoverish side of the village.

"We're almost there." The assassin stated emptily, completely ignoring Beomgyu's recent inquiries.

Beomgyu took the hint, leaving the silence to burrow a hole in their presence. It wasn't awkward but it kept the royal on edge. He was in unknown territory and barely had any idea who this girl who he was head over heels in love with, was truly but that didn't alter his true feelings for the girl.

Nothing could.

"Youngjae...", the girl allowed the word to roll off her tongue in a low whisper. She was debating with herself if she should continue but just by observing Beomgyu's calm and understanding gaze, she felt nothing but comfort at that very moment. This pushed her to speak the truth.

"After my parents got murdered, my sister and I became orphans. I was only 10 when they died and I knew nobody who could have possibly helped us. My mom and dad never spoke of their relatives to us. Oddly, no one really spoke to our parents. They always frowned upon them and gave them weird looks for what reason, I really don't know. The people of our home village hated us. Anyway...when they died we were left alone and I had to learn to fend for myself and to able to take care of my sister. When word about the death of my parents was planted in the villagers conversations, my sister and I weren't allowed to live in our house anymore. Those people...they took it away and abandoned us for dead. They didn't care about us one bit."

Haeun dropped her gaze down to the sandy ground below her feet. She was trying so hard to hide the fact that tears were brimming in her eyes but Beomgyu was quick to her rescue. The boy interlocked their hands, gently squeezing her hand in assurance that it was okay and that he was right by her side. He slowly traced his thumb over the back of Haeun's hand, etching a pleasant and calming feeling in the assassin's heart.

"W-we moved from place to place frequently in order to stay alive. Ha, we lived off of stolen bread for quite some time but it wasn't healthy at all. My sister was still so young and she needed proper food to grow so whatever I had, I'd give it to her. Things were getting really hard at one point but that's when we met Youngjae. He was in some sort of fight and well he was getting surrounded. I did whatever I could to help and I guess I knocked some guys out and saved his ass. He was so shocked but because I saved his life he-paid me? He was so grateful that he rewarded for me helping him."