Harry: Asthma Attack (3)

Louis POV

5 days later

The last 5 days went pretty much the same. I would sit by Harry's side as much as possible, heading home to shower and eat (barely) while Anne or the other lads visited him. However today was different.

The doctor informed us of improvement to Harry's condition, which was "a little bit of a miracle", which is a quote from the doctor himself. By running tests and doing an MRI, he is no longer considered in a comatose state, which means he is just unconscious and should hopefully be waking up soon.

I tried not to get my hopes up too much as I was nervous that maybe they were wrong and that Harry would never recover, but I tried no to think like that. To be fair I just wasn't thinking at all. It was around 2 pm when my hopes were brought up a little higher.

"Hi baby." I said, coming into the room, taking his hand and sitting beside him, just like I've done every single day for the past few days. "The fans are starting to worry about you. They are all sending the sweetest messages on twitter. Their support is amazing." I was greeted with silence, but that was the normal for now. Then a nurse came in.

"Good morning Louis. How are you doing today?" The nurse always asked me this question but I always responded with the same thing.

"Depends. How is Harry doing today?" She chuckled as she checked over Harry's vitals and checked the ventilator. She also gave him some more meds and replaced his fluids.

"He seems to be improving everyday. His color has returned a bit today and seems to be responding to the meds we are giving him." The doctor started him on meds to help his body come off the ventilator.

"Well then I guess I am good." I said and the nurse nodded and left, leaving me alone. I turned the TV on, flipped through some channels and decided on another disney movie, as there is nothing on TV anyways.

It was around 4:30 when I noticed Harry's eyes start to flutter. However, they have done this before and supposedly it's just Harry's body trying to recover, but this time they opened, revealing Harry's bright green eyes that I've missed so much.

"Harry?" I said in shock. "Oh my gosh, you're awake." I pressed the button on the wall and I tried to remain calm while we waited for the doctor or a nurse to come.

He tried to move his lips in an effort to speak, but of course the tube that was keeping him alive prevented him from doing so and I could tell he became uncomfortable. He started to reach for the tube, but it was quite slow, so I took his hand in mine to prevent him from touching it.

"No Haz it has to stay for now." He looked at me with saddened and pleading eyes and I felt really bad, so I kissed his cheek. "It's okay just try to relax."

Finally after about 5 minutes, a nurse came in. She told us that she would get the doctor and after about 10 minutes, he came in to assess Harry's condition.

"Alright so clearly Harry is awake and there aren't any signs of brain damage currently, but we are still going to run lots of tests." The doctor said.

"What about the ventilator? I think it makes him uncomfortable now that he's awake." I explained as Harry looked at me, in which I gave him a small smile.

"We are going to do a test where we can see if he is breathing on his own. If so we can take the tube out. It might be hard to watch because if he isn't breathing on his own, it can seem like he's choking. So i would advise-" I cut him off.

"I'm not leaving him." I said standing up and brushing Harry's hair from his face.

"Okay, stay, but just let him do his thing. And this isn't causing harm." The doctor started to play with the settings on the machine and eventually the soft hum came to a stop.

"Harry, try to breathe normally okay. I know it's difficult with the tube, but you just need to try." He looked at me and I nodded in agreement. He definitely got nervous because his heart rate went up. As a few seconds went on he seemed to be almost choking, like the doctor said and I started to tear up because he seemed to be suffering. I couldn't leave him though. I wiped the tear that ran down his face as I tried to comfort him as best I could.

"Baby please just try to breathe." I said as he continued to slightly struggle. The choking sound turned into more a gurgle, so the doctor used the suction tool to help with his saliva and his oxygen stats seemed to increase.

"So it seems that he is breathing on his own. We are keeping the tube in for now and after 30 minutes if his oxygen stays at this rate, then we can take the tube out. A nurse will be checking him every 5 minutes. I'll be back in 30. Try to keep him calm." The doctor said and left. The nurse adjusted his position slightly and sprayed a numbing spray at the back of his throat to help with the discomfort.

"If you want to talk I have a white board that he could write on if you like?" The nurse asked.

"Do you think you can write Haz?" He moved his hand out of my grasp and gave me a thumbs up, so I took the board, uncapped the marker and handed it to him. I held the board so he could write.

"How do you feel?" I asked and he began to write. It took longer, but it was expected as he was probably exhausted.

Tired, uncomfortable, chest tight, he wrote.

"Well of course. You had a severe asthma attack. Plus the breathing tube. I can't even imagine." I said as he began to write something else.

My mum?

"She was here. I texted her to tell her that you were awake and she said would be here soon. Niall and Liam are coming too. I've been here most days, just watching over you."

Your tired

"Don't worry about me babe. Please I'm just glad you are awake and okay." I said, smiling. Soon the 30 minutes were up and Harry's oxygen stats actually improved, so they decided to take the tube out.

"Alright Harry, this will probably be uncomfortable and you'll start to cough a lot when the tube is out, but you'll feel a lot better." He gave a thumbs up and they started. The tube was out after a minute and like the doctor said, Harry started coughing a lot. They placed an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose and helped him sit up all the way to be sure he wasn't choking. He clutched his chest and the doctor was slightly concerned.

"Is your chest hurting you Harry?" He nodded as he continued to cough, which turned into wheezing. The nurse grabbed an inhaler from the drawer and helped Harry take it. Eventually after a couple puffs, his coughing subsided and his breathing was rapid, so they kept the oxygen mask on.

"What happened?" I asked, taking his hand and tried to help slow his breathing.

"It appears the coughing triggered his asthma, but luckily we refilled his inhaler, so he should be fine. I'm not worried about the chest pain unless it gets worse. That's common for patients like him. Let me know if you guys need anything. We will probably keep Harry here for a few days to help him recover, plus to monitor him for any brain damage."

"Thank you doctor." I said and he smiled and nodded, then left, leaving us alone once again. "Are you okay baby?"

He only nodded as the oxygen mask over his mouth and nose muffled his voice and I nodded. I then noticed he was struggling to keep his eyes open. This day has worn him out and I felt awful.

"Go to sleep Haz. I'll be here when you wake up." He nodded, but not before he took the marker again and I held the board so he could write.

I love you, He wrote, which just made me smile and I could see a small smile form on his lips too.

"I love you too." I kissed his cheek. "Now sleep."