Harry: Different (2)

Harry POV

We pull into the business and I wait for Louis to remove the seat belt and the straps on my chair before I back out and wheel out of the car. I pressed the button to open the front door and wheel inside. My best mates Liam and Niall are already there setting up shop. We gave them a job at the business after they wanted to help us in some way.

"Hey Haz!" Liam said patting my shoulder and I smiled at him and signed 'Hi'. Niall welcomed me as well and they followed me to my studio room to help me get set up. Louis came in a few minutes later.

"Do you want to sit on the special stool for a bit or stay in your chair?" I pointed to my chair and Louis nodded.

Louis started to adjust me to the correct position for me to paint, but my trach got moved slightly and it stopped providing me oxygen and it started beeping. Liam looked at me and I pointed to my throat. He looked at Louis confused.

"Louis why is it beeping?" He shrugged and it was times like these where I wish I could talk because I couldn't tell him what was wrong. Louis checked the ventilator.

"His oxygen stats are low, but his trach is on." He came over to me as I shook my head. "What is it Haz?"

I tried to sign off, but it came out sloppy, but Louis seemed to grasp the idea and readjusted the trach and I started coughing.

"Sorry baby. It must have gotten bumped. You okay?" I nodded and he adjusted my position carefully so I could reach the canvas correctly. "I'm going to go open up. Liam and Niall can help you okay?"

I nodded and Louis smiled and kissed me before going back out to the front of the store. I looked at Niall who was in my sight and he grabbed my brushes.

"What colors do you want?" He asked and I slowly signed 'pastel' and he nodded, grabbing the few pastel colors. "You'll need new paints soon. Do you want to add that to the order list Liam?"

"Yeah of course. You good here Haz?" I nodded and began to paint. Niall stayed with me, while Liam went into the back office. Suddenly there was commotion coming from the front, so me and Niall went to investigate what was going on.

Louis POV

I left Haz with Niall and Liam like I always do to go open up the shop. I unlocked the door, flipped the sign to open and turned on the spotlights. I went to the register, when I heard the bell ring, indicating there was a customer.

"Hi welcome to-" I stopped talking as I realized who it was that walked in. Nick, my ex from highschool walked in. He continuously tries to harass me and has now found out where I worked.

"Hey babe." I looked at him angrily, ignoring the use of the pet name.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I said going around the counter. He brought his hand up to my cheek and caressed it, so I slapped it away. He looked hurt, but I didn't care.

"Oh come on Louis. I know you are still into me." I shook my head no as he stepped closer, so I stepped back.

"Nick I'm married for fucks sake. Plus I never liked you. You bullied Harry and sometimes me, and you know I still hate you for that." He rolled his eyes.

"That was high school Lou. I've changed-" I slapped his cheek.

"No way. I don't care if you changed, like I said, I'm married!" I shouted and he shoved me up against the wall, causing one of the paintings to fall and crack. He put his hand on my throat and started kissing me, so I used my knee to hit him between his legs, which caused him to stop. I pushed him off for a second, but he came back at full force.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Niall, Liam and Harry all come out from the back room and Harry looked scared, but he came over, even with the protests of Liam and Niall. Harry came over and knocked Nick over with his chair, which pushed him off of me and onto the floor. I got in front of Harry, when I heard Niall calling the police.

"Oh look your pathetic excuse of a husband had to come save you." I went to go over to him, but Harry grabbed my sleeve to stop me. I turned to him and we spoke without speaking as if he was telling me not to.

"What the fuck do you want Nick? What were your intentions in coming here? To try to break us up? Well I can tell you right now, that will never happen." I said, taking Harry's hand in mine.

"He can't walk, talk, or do anything Louis. I can do so much for you." He said, coming closer, but I wasn't backing down.

"Are you kidding?" I said, letting go of Harry. "I don't care that I have to take care of him, or do everything for him. Have you seen his talent? We've made hundreds of thousands of dollars from the paintings he does and you want to call that nothing? I wouldn't have a care in the world whether he was in a coma for the rest of his life, or he was able to run and jump around. He is still the same person I met in high school and the same person I married, in which I married for a reason. I love him and always will." Nick just chuckled as the police came in, taking Nick in custody.

"No what, he attacked me!" Nick shouted and the police just laughed, taking him away. Once they were gone, Harry moved closer to me, grabbing me by the sleeve.

"Are you okay?" I asked and he silently laughed, pulling me closer and kissing me.

"I. love. you." He said, very quietly and it sounded like nothing, but that was the first time he spoke in years and I just about cried. I hugged him the best I could and I could feel his tears on my shirt. I decided to call his doctor the next day to see if he could see him to talk about his speech.

I followed him back to his studio room and helped him get set back up before returning to the front. I have a camera to watch him on the register in that room in case I'm alone or something happens to him and I'm not in there. Niall and Liam brought the broken painting to the desk.

"Sorry Lou, but it's a goner." I nodded.

"Damn. That's alright. Just put it in my office, but first." I said. "He talked. It was quiet and very strangled, but he said something. That's a good thing right?"

"Oh my gosh, of course Louis. That's amazing!" I nodded, pulling them into a hug. The rest of the day went as usual, no more people hating on us at least for the day. I drove Harry home and got him settled on the couch, like we always do at night. I prepped his nightly feed and hooked him up before joining him on the couch.

"I texted your doctor to set up an appointment for tomorrow. They are going to test your vocal chords and probably start you on a speech therapist." He nodded and opened his mouth to try to speak but nothing came out. He pouted so I pulled him closer.

"It's alright Haz. That's the first time you've used your vocal chords in 2 years probably. It's going to take some time." He nodded and we both drifted off to sleep on the couch for about 2 hours.

I woke up later and decided to move him to his bed. I picked him up gently and moved him to his room. He stirred slightly when I disconnected his trach, but quickly reattached it once he was settled in bed. I took his shirt off as he gets hot when he sleeps and made sure he was comfortable. As I turned to leave the room, he grabbed my sleeve.

"Stay" He said quietly. I had to lean in to hear him, but once I heard him, I nodded and climbed in on his side, minding all of the wires. I wrapped his left arm around my waist as I laid on his chest. I stayed until he fell asleep, as it's dangerous for me to stay all night in case I bump his trach or something.