Louis: Soccer Match (4)

The next morning Louis was whisked off to surgery after a long night. He woke up multiple times, which meant I was also awake multiple times. He complained of pain and then complained that he was hungry and tried to fight the nurses about having something small. They ended up giving him a lot of pain meds to help him sleep and he was out cold til the few minutes before his surgery. He was nervous and so was I but I didn't tell him that. I tried my best to reassure him, but now all I could do was wait.

It had been about 15 minutes since the surgery started and I was waiting for Liam and Niall to show. Louis' nurse Sam was really sweet and was checking up on me, making sure I was okay. She told me that she would give me updates every so often as the surgery was going to be about 2 hours. Then Liam and Niall came in.

"Hi mate!" Liam said walking up to me. I stood up and gave him a hug, then gave Niall one.

"Hey guys." I said, sitting back down. They followed.

"Is he alright?" Niall asked.

"Yea they just took him back about 15 minutes ago. He should be fine." I said smiling weakly. "It's just a broken ankle."

"Harry, you told us his ankle was broken in three places. Plus he is having surgery. It's not "just a broken ankle" Liam said putting the last part in quotation marks.

"I know that, but I'm trying to stay calm by saying because yes my boyfriend is currently having surgery. And he is scared of hospitals and it makes me very worried. But thanks for that reminder mate." I said patting him on the back. He stayed quiet, as Niall spoke up again.

"Do you know what happened? I didn't see him go down, but one of the guys walked away saying something like you deserve it. I was so confused." He said.

"Yea he told me. Basically he was being homophobic to our relationship. He must have seen us before the game or something because Louis said he didn't know how he even knew, 1. He was gay, and 2. That he had a boyfriend. Louis told him to fuck off, classic Lou, he said that he would pay for that. Louis told me that he purposefully shoved him to the ground and stepped on his ankle." I said staring at the ground.

"What the hell? Why would he ever say or do something like that?" Niall said angrily standing up. "I'm going to get him kicked off that team."

"Niall please I-" I said but he interrupted.

"No I'm sorry Harry but that is wrong and unprofessional. And because of him, Louis is in a hospital, in surgery as a matter of fact. Plus you won't be able to stop me." He said, taking out his phone and making a call, leaving the waiting room.

"But Niall-" He waved me off and was outside.

"Just let him go mate. You have to admit that was wrong. Just let him do his thing." Liam said

"I guess." I sighed, then yawned. "Damn I'm so tired."

"Didn't you sleep last night? I know hospitals can be rough to sleep in, but did you sleep at all?" He asked.

"Well kind of. Louis woke up multiple times, which also woke me up because the nurses would come in and do their thing, which is fine, it's just I didn't get much sleep." I said rubbing my eyes trying to wake myself up.

"Alright, come on." He said taping his shoulder. "Sleep so you can have the energy to help your boyfriend feel better after his surgery."

I didn't do anything except smile and rested my head on Liam's shoulder, falling asleep almost instantaneously.

------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up about an hour and a half later to Liam repeatedly tapping on my shoulder, clearly trying to wake me up.

"Geez finally mate. The nurse is here." I snapped my eyes open, rubbing my face with my hands to get rid of the sleep. I then looked over and saw Sam standing nearby talking with one of the other nurses. Liam then waved her over.

"Okay, so Louis is out of surgery. He did very well. It'll definitely be painful for the next few days, so we are going to keep him here to make sure the bones are starting to heal in the correct position. Would you like to see him?"

"Yes please." She then guided us to Louis' room once again, opening the door for all of us to pile into his room.

"He should just be waking up or he will be in a few minutes. Call me if you need anything."

"Thanks Sam." She nodded and left, closing the door behind her. I made my way to Louis' bedside who still had the IV in his hand and some tubing under his nose providing him with oxygen. Everything else looked the same, except for the fact he had a bright blue cast on his ankle and foot that came up to about his knee. He also had a pair of crutches next to his bed. He was still asleep so we waited for about 5 minutes before he began to stir. Another nurse came back in to give him some pain meds and check his vitals.

"Lou? Are you awake?" I asked, taking his hand. His eyes fluttered slightly and I could see him shake his head no, but obviously since he heard me he was awake.

"I gave him some pain meds but he's waking up now. His vitals are good, so just let us know if he has to use the bathroom or anything." The nurse said, then left.

"We'll give you guys some privacy." Liam said, dragging Niall out of the room.

"Louis" I said playfully, trying to get him to wake up some more.

"I feel weird." He said opening his eyes fully and adjusting to the light. "And my leg hurts."

"That's okay baby. It's normal and the nurse just gave you pain meds so it'll take a minute for them to actually work. Are you okay though?" He said playing with the IV in his hand.

"Don't touch that Lou, that's what's giving you the pain meds." He took Louis' hand. He then used the hand with his IV to try and take his oxygen off, which again I stopped him and grabbed his hand. "None of that Louis. It's helping you breathe."

"It's annoying. Take it off." He sassed trying to remove himself from my grasp which I reluctantly ignored.

"I'll ask the nurse." I pressed the nurse button and Sam came in.

"Something you need boys?" She asked, checking his monitor and his chart.

"Get this thing off my face." Louis said.

"What he means is can he take the oxygen off?" Harry restated, but Sam already knew Louis' question.

"Yes he can. His oxygen stats seem fine and he seems to be talking and breathing fine as well." She removed the tubing, placing it back on the wall in case Louis needed it later. "Do you need anything else? Water or something to eat?"

"I need a wee." Louis said quietly.

"Okay, let's sit you on the edge of the bed." Sam helped swing Louis' legs to the edge of the bed, allowing his legs to dangle, as he didn't quite reach the floor. "Harry, do you want to help me stand him up carefully?"

"Yes of course." I went to Louis' side as Sam disconnected him from the IV and then handed him his crutches.

"Okay Louis I want you to use the crutches but we are going to hold onto you as you're still under the effects of anesthesia." She took Louis under the armpit as I followed her actions. She nodded and then we lifted him up as he swayed slightly.

"Woah Lou, are you dizzy?" I asked, my voice filled with concern.

"A little, but I'm fine. Can we go?" He asked. I looked to Sam who nodded and we began to the bathroom. We eventually made it and Sam left the room to give Louis privacy. I started to leave as well, but he tugged on my shirt, to which I turned.

"Stay with me. Please?" He looked into my eyes.

"Of course." I looked towards Sam who was at the door. "We'll be right out." She smiled and nodded, closing the bathroom door.