Prequel - Louis: Paralysis (3)

Harry POV

It's 2 days later and they are waking Louis up today. And to say I'm nervous would be an understatement. I haven't left his side, unless I went to the bathroom, despite the pleas from the other boys, but I told them I wasn't leaving this hospital until he did, so I was staying put. Liam was ready to drag me out of there, but luckily the hospital staff was lenient and allowed me to sleep in an extra bed that they placed in the room.

"Good morning Harry." The nurse said who pulled me out of my thoughts. I smiled and she did her usual morning check on Louis and then she adjusted his ventilator. "So as you know, we are waking Louis today. He'll probably be uncomfortable but that's normal. And he of course doesn't know he is paralyzed, but it's our job when he figures it out to keep him calm and assure him as we don't want his neck injury to become worse. Understand?"

"But won't he know right away?" She shook her head no.

"Not necessarily as we have him on a lot of medication that basically numb him, so he probably won't notice for a few days. We will probably tell him once he is safe off the ventilator. The doctor will be in soon to do so. I injected the medicine to start the process." I nodded and thanked her and she left. Niall and Liam and Stan all came in a few minutes after to greet me and to wait with me for Louis to wake up.

"How are you holding up Haz?" Niall asked as he sat next to me on my bed. Stan and Liam went to Louis' bedside and I watched them as Niall nudged my shoulder to regain my attention. "Haz?"

"Sorry." I said rubbing my face. "Okay I guess. I mean they are waking him up today, which is good, but I'm just worried about what's gonna happen when they tell him he is paralyzed. I just don't know how to face him." Niall nodded.

"Yeah I know, but you guys will get through this together okay?" I nodded. "Just try to stay strong for him as he's going to need you." Just then the doctor came in and moved Stan and Liam out of his way over to my bed. As the doctors began to work, Louis' heart rate shot up and the monitor went crazy.

"W-what's happening?" I said standing up as Niall grabbed my wrist to pull me back down but I pulled it away from him. The doctors didn't respond right away so I asked again, but made it more urgent.

"His body is just releasing adrenaline as we remove the breathing tube. It's normal, just let us work." I stayed standing watching carefully. Eventually they removed the tube from his throat, so I looked away for that and he started coughing. Then he started thrashing around, pushing the doctors away.

"Where am I? And let go of me!" He yelled and continued trying to push the doctors away. There was a nurse holding his head to be sure his neck didn't move, but he was trying to push her off. All I wanted was to jump in and hold him and tell him everything would be alright, when in reality it wasn't.

"Louis you need to calm down. You are severely injured and you need to try and remain calm. You were in an accident and are in the hospital. Please calm down!" The doctor said trying to keep Louis calm, but Louis wasn't having any of it.

"Lou" I said quietly, but the doctor must have heard because he connected eyes with me and moved one of the nurses out of the way for me to be next to him. I hurried my way to his bedside and took hold of his unbroken hand. And he must have known it was me because he seemed to relax.

"Harry?" He asked. It seemed so innocent but so broken and my heart shattered as he probably couldn't even see me as the neck brace was keeping him from turning his head.

"I'm here baby. It's okay, but you've got to let them help you." He went to nod, but immediately regretted it as the fracture in his neck was very painful. "Don't move your neck Lou, just say yes or no."