Louis: Tonsillitis (2)

Harry's POV

When we arrived at the ER after about 20 minutes because of traffic, Louis was acting delirious and mumbling things that didn't really make any sense. I assumed it was because of his fever. We pulled into the parking lot and I lifted him into the waiting area in order to check him in.

"Gosh what is taking so long?" I said to myself after about an hour and a half of waiting for a doctor. Louis was asleep, which was good as he wasn't in any pain and he looked at peace. I decided to leave Louis in the chair and go up to reception.

"Excuse me." I said to the lady behind the desk. I tried to remain calm as I'm sure they were busy and Louis wasn't in an emergency, but still.

"Hi. Can I help you?" She asked, being very polite.

"Me and my boyfriend have been here for almost two hours and he still hasn't been seen. I know he isn't an emergency case, but he's still pretty sick and I'm really worried."

"I'm sorry sir but we are really busy. Let me check to see who is available." She typed in our information on her computer and took about 5 minutes to check for someone. "Okay we can have a nurse take you back and begin to examine your boyfriend. The doctor might be about 20 more minutes, but that's the best I can do, I'm sorry. Let me grab the nurse."

"Thank you." I said going back to Louis who was stirring and was half awake. The nurse called our name. "Come on Lou." I lifted him up and helped him into the exam room.

"Alright apologies for the wait. What seems to be going on?" She looked toward Louis who was lying down on the exam table, so she looked toward me for an explanation.

"His throat has been hurting and he hasn't been able to eat or drink anything. He also had a fever earlier today and probably still does. He was a little delirious. Also he has pain in his right ear; enough pain to cause him to get dizzy and fall over." She nodded while taking notes.

"Dizziness is associated with ear pain, so that's normal, but being unable to get fluids or anything into him is definitely concerning." She put down her clipboard and went over to Louis. "Hi Louis. My name is Sarah and I'm going to examine you. Can we sit up a little bit?"

Louis groaned but complied and sat up. He leaned up against the wall for support. The nurse took his temperature and listened to his heart and lungs, which was all normal, although he did have a slight fever. She also looked in his throat and ears and stayed silent.

"Has Louis ever had his tonsils out?" I shook my head.

"Um no, but the doctor has spoken about it in the past."

"Okay so I'm going to consult with the doctor, but it appears his tonsils are severely swollen and may need a tonsillectomy. Let me go see if the doctor is available." I nodded and turned my attention to Louis.

"How are you doing darling?" I asked, sitting next to him and allowing him to rest on my shoulder.

"It still hurts and I'm dizzy again." he said quietly.

"I know darling, but that's why we are here."

"But what if I need surgery?"

"Then we'd get surgery darling. If it helps, then I think it's worth it." He nodded and we waited for the doctor. He came in about 10 minutes later.

"Hello Louis I'm Dr. Martin. And you must be Harry right?" I nodded and he smiled. "So I agree with the nurse's diagnosis, but I would like to confirm for myself, but first let me ask you some questions. Have you had multiple sore throats or similar symptoms to what you are feeling now, we'll say, more than 6 times in the past year?"

"I mean I get sick all the time, but I just assumed it was cause of stress and singing so much." He said quietly.

"Yes it can be mistaken for other triggers. Harry this is a question for you. Does he snore? And if so, is it loud or sound like he's congested a lot?"

"Umm yeah how did you know that?" I asked, very confused.

"A lot of times, patients with tonsillitis have recurrent sore throats. And with snoring sometimes they have what's called disrupted sleep apnea where sometimes the patient will stop breathing while they sleep because their tonsils are swollen. But don't worry it's actually more common than you think. Now let me just see your throat. Open." The doctor examined Louis' throat just like the nurse and he had the same reaction.

"Is he okay?" I asked.

"Well just like I thought, he does indeed have tonsillitis. So my basic recommendation based on his medical history and his current state, is to get surgery to remove his tonsils. We would-"

"No, I don't want surgery. I'm fine." Louis went to get up but he must have been dizzy because he basically collapsed to the ground. I was luckily right behind him to catch him and help him back on the bed.

"I know you think you are fine, but you aren't Mr. Tomlinson. You won't get surgery right away, but maybe in the next couple days. We would have to keep you admitted because we want to make sure your throat doesn't start to close up, which is unlikely, but with your current symptoms, we want to be sure it doesn't happen alright?" Louis nodded and the doctor led us to a new room that Louis could stay overnight in. He got comfortable and then told us that they were sending a nurse to start Louis on an IV for fluids and meds to make him comfortable.

"Alright Louis I'm going to start an IV so we can get some fluids into you okay? Also I'm going to give you some pain meds and something to reduce your fever." Louis winced slightly when they inserted the needle, but the nurse was reassuring. "So I'm all set. Do you boys have any questions?"

"Can I stay with him?" I asked.

"Of course. We will bring in an extra bed in a little while."

"Thank you!"

"No problem. We will talk to you in the morning about scheduling the surgery." I nodded and shook the nurse's hand. She left and left us alone.

"I'm tired." Louis said. I smiled and moved him over so I could sit next to him and he could cuddle into me.

"So sleep Lou. I'll be here when you wake up." he nodded and was out like a light in a minute.