Harry: Asthma Attack (4)

Louis POV

Later that night, after the lads and Harry's mum visited him, the doctor wanted to get Harry up and moving to be sure that there wasn't any brain damage that affected his movement or balance.

"Harry I have a physical therapist to help you stand and get you back up and moving." Harry just nodded as he was still very exhausted.

"Hi my name is Connor and I'll be your physical therapist. We are going to take it easy, so we are just going to stand and take a few steps to the chair, okay?" Harry nodded again and I just stood back to watch the physical therapist do their work. He helped Harry to the side of the bed and placed an assist belt around his waist. Harry was still on oxygen and an IV, so they had to be mindful of that.

"How are you feeling sitting like this Harry? Dizzy or any symptoms like that?" He shook his head no which gave me a brief sigh of relief. "Alright that's good. Let's try to stand now."

Connor began to lift Harry up and it went well until Harry tried to straighten out and his knees buckled. Luckily with Connor right there and the belt, he was able to catch him and gently help him sit on the bed.

"Woah, woah, easy now. Sit down." Harry was breathing heavily now as Connor went to get the doctor. I sat beside him as we waited.

"You alri-" He interrupted me.

"I couldn't feel it." He said and I looked at him confusedly. "I couldn't feel myself standing. It's like my leg muscles weren't there to support me. I don't know." My concern grew even more as the doctor walked in.

"Harry I'm going to test your reflexes." The doctor took the tool and hit it against Harry's knees. His legs barely moved. He then tested his elbows as well and the same result occurred. "Your reflexes are slow and sluggish. I want to get another MRI to see if there are any detectable signs of brain damage in your cerebellum. I'll schedule it for later tonight."

"You think that this is brain damage?" I asked.

"Brain damage unfortunately can range from a number of different things. From simple things like headaches, to more severe things like loss of motor function on the right side, similar to a stroke. It's possible that this weakness in his reflexes is a result of damage to the cerebellum, which is part of the brain located in the back of your head. Like I said, we are going to get an MRI, then run some tests to be sure. It's good though, as this sort of brain damage we can treat. Some simple physical therapy and could get him back to his peak muscle capacity in a few weeks."

"So we shouldn't worry about it." I said.

"No I wouldn't. A nurse will be back soon to take you for your MRI and as long as we can confirm this, we will get a physical therapy plan started for you and you'll be able to go home in a few days." We both nodded as Connor helped Harry get back into bed and comfortable.

"Alright Harry, I'll probably be back tomorrow to discuss a physical therapy plan with you. So have a good night both of you."

"Thank you Connor." Harry said quietly. He smiled and nodded and left.

"You alright Haz?" He nodded.

"I guess, but it kind of sucks to have to do physical therapy."

"I know but it could be a whole lot worse babe. I'm just glad it's treatable and not as bad as it could have been."

"Yeah I guess you're right."

"I know. I'm always right."

"Shut up you twit." He said pouting, which turned into a laugh as he could never stay "mad" at me for too long.

Later Harry was taken for his MRI and the doctor's suspicions were confirmed. Harry did in fact suffer brain damage, but it affected the muscle portion of the cerebellum where it caused his muscles to become weak. However with physical therapy and time, he would be back to what he was doing before.

Harry was released from the hospital about 5 days later and had an extensive physical therapy plan. He went 3 times a week for about a month and was doing incredibly well. After about a total of 2 months of physical therapy, Harry was fully recovered.

As for Harry's asthma, Louis always made sure that he had a spare inhaler for his spare inhaler, meaning they carried around 3 inhalers at all times to be sure that something like this would never happen again. Harry never suffered a severe asthma attack again and he was off to steal the world's heart.