Harry: Different (3)

Harry POV

I woke up and turned slightly to see that it was about 8 am, which is the time I usually wake up. When I moved my one working arm, it hurt a lot, and I knew today was going to be one of those days with a lot of pain and discomfort. But I had to get up and go to the doctors today, so I was just dreading it at this point.

I heard Louis' feet come into my bedroom and he opened the curtains like he always does and gives me a kiss on the forehead.

"Good morning baby!" He said as he pulled back my sheets. "Ready to get up?" He asked and I shook my head no. "What's wrong?"

I tried to speak, but nothing came out, so I gave up and signed hurts. He knows I get days where I'm really sore, but we had to get up today.

"You're hurting baby?" I nodded. "I'm sorry, but we do have to get up today? Think you can manage?"

I nodded again and he said okay, as he began our morning routine. He cleaned my trach and my feeding tube, before sitting me up. I was pretty weak this morning, so I almost slumped right back down again, but luckily he caught me.

"You're really hurting today, huh?" I nodded and he gave me a hug. I didn't even have the energy to do our normal morning cuddles, but he understood. He quickly disconnected my vent and slid me into my chair, before reattaching the other vent. He wheeled me into the kitchen where my feed was already set up. He attached it and went to make himself some breakfast, but I made a noise of distress and he looked at me.

"Do you want some pain meds?" I nodded and he went to our full cabinet of medication in the kitchen. He pulled out two different liquids and brought them over to me, along with two syringes. He drew back the medication in both syringes and inserted them directly into my feeding tube. It was nice as I didn't have to swallow anything or be injected.

He made breakfast for himself while I reclined in my chair, almost falling asleep, but he kept me awake as falling asleep in my chair can be a little dangerous. He finished up and took me to the car and began the hour drive to the hospital where my primary care provider was.

I had scheduled a yearly check-up as well as the check-up with my speech therapist. I'm just hoping I can talk at least a little bit again, because then it'd be so much easier to communicate with Louis.

We waited about 25 minutes and then a nurse called us back into a big private room that we always get. She helped Louis put me on the bed and lifted the head up a little bit so I was sitting up.

"How are you feeling today Harry?" She asked as she held up a sign that had faces from 1-10. I pointed to 4 as I was happy to be here, but I was still hurting, the pain meds only just barely taking the edge off. "Not well today?" I shook my head no.

"He's having a lot of pain and discomfort. I gave him the meds this morning, but they usually only take the edge off." The nurse nodded, writing things down.

"How often does he have these kinds of days?" She asked.

"Usually about once a week. He'll just stay in bed all day and not want to get up or do anything, but obviously today he had to come in." She nodded.

"Alright I'll let the doctor know you guys are here. Should just be a few minutes." We both nodded and Louis thanked her. He came over to me and rubbed my shoulder.

"You doing alright?" I shook my head no and he gave me a hug, just as the doctor knocked on the door and walked in.

"Hello boys. Nice to see you guys again." The doctor said. He's been my doctor since the night of the accident and he's great. He's very caring and does a lot for us.