Louis: Bump in the Road (3)

Louis POV
        I woke up in the middle of the night a few days later in a lot of pain and I couldn't move. Harry was lying in the chair over on the side of the room sound asleep. I tried my best to yell out to him but I felt too weak to do so. My chest started to feel really tight again and I started coughing, which made the heart rate monitor go off.
        "Lou?" Harry asked, waking from his slumber. "Are you okay baby?"
        "M-my c-chest." I said, coming out weakly. "It h-hurts"
        "What's going on?" A nurse said rushing in.
        "He said his chest hurts!" Harry said, panicking.
        "Okay that's pretty normal, but I will check it out." She lifted the part of the gown covering the right chest tube and began to examine it. "Does it hurt when I put pressure on it?"
        "Not that side, it's more the other side." I said.
        "It could be because it's ready to come out." She began to examine the left side and once she put pressure on it I winced a little. "I'm gonna have the doctor come look at it to see if we can at least take that one out. I'll be right back with the doctor."
        "Thanks." I said and let Harry take my hand. A few minutes later the doctor and the nurse came back in.
        "Alright let's take a look." the doctor said. "I'm going to use this ultrasound to check your lungs okay?" I nodded and he started to place the ultrasound over my chest. "So it appears that both of the chest tubes can come out now, but we still have to keep you here for a few days to monitor the after effects."
        "Okay so when can we pull them out?"
        "Well." He chuckled. "There is an open procedure room, so we will move you there. As for what to expect, we will put a local anesthetic on the site and then place you under some laughing gas to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible without placing you under general anesthesia. When we begin to pull it out, you'll feel a lot of pressure, but then a lot of relief at the end. Let's get moving shall we?" We both nodded and I was wheeled out of the room into a procedure room.
        "Can I have Harry in here?" The doctor shook his head no.
        "Unfortunately it is a sterile procedure, so we can't have any outside germs in the room. I'm sorry. We will be quick though." The doctor explained and Harry was left outside.
        "Please I want him here, I don't want to do it without him." I pleaded, but the doctors still refused.
        "I'm sorry Mr. Tomlinson, but he can't be in here. I promise I'll be quick okay? Now just breathe this in and try to relax." He placed a mask over my mouth and nose and I didn't even feel them inject the anesthetic into my side. He began to remove the tube and like he said it was really uncomfortable and there was a lot of pressure and it hurt. The gas took the edge off, but it still hurt a lot.
        "Stop please!" I said but they didn't stop. "It hurts!"
        "We are almost done, it'll be over in one minute." They said. Then both tubes were finally removed and I could almost breathe again. I was already breathing of course, but the discomfort with every breath was gone. They started wheeling me back to my room where Harry was waiting.
        "Oh love how are you feeling?" He asked, but from the gas, I was pretty out of it and felt really funny.
        "I-I d-don't w-where d-did I-I d-don't umm." I was very confused.
        "Hey it's okay darling, just try to rest." I just nodded and eventually fell asleep.
Harry POV
        Louis slept for almost 4 hours that day and by the time he woke up we were in a regular room. The doctor said that he can be released tomorrow, which is great as I just want him home as I hate seeing him in a hospital.
        The next day we packed up our stuff and I was able to bring Louis home, which was great. I carefully helped him to the car and into the house. He went to bed as he was quite tired, which apparently is a symptom of withdrawal. The doctor warned us about how his body may react to not having cigarettes anymore and he said that they would probably last for a couple weeks at most.
        I started noticing them about 3 days after he was released. They had him on a nicotine patch at the hospital, so the effects of that were wearing off. He was more agitated and he gets tremors at night and he gets very emotional a lot easier. It was the worst on day 5 after he was released. I came home from work to find him very distraught and curled up on the couch.
        "Louis! I'm home!" I called as I entered the front door. "Lou?" I asked, searching for him. As I entered the living room, he was crying and curled in on himself on the couch. "Lou, my god, what happened?"
        "I-I have a headache and my hands are shaking and I've tried to sleep, but I can't seem to and I just don't know what to do." He said sobbing as he finished.
        "Oh Lou it's okay I'm here." I said trying to comfort him, but apparently that was the wrong thing to say because he stood up and looked a little angry.
        "Oh really?" He said. "Cause you aren't here. I've been suffering alone and I don't know how to control this. If you hadn't thrown out my cigarettes then I would have been able to stop this, but you just had to go and throw them all out didn't you?" He shouted slightly. I tried to remain calm because us shouting at each other wouldn't do either of us any good.
        "Louis you know that the doctor said you can't smoke anymore because your lungs can't handle it." I said standing up and taking his hand. He pulled out of my grasp and turned away from me.
        "Please I can't take this. I can't even hold my phone because my hands are shaking so bad." He started to get upset, so I moved towards him, turned him around, and held him in my arms.
        "It's okay baby. Do you want something to drink?" He shook his head no. "I think it might help your headache." He gave in and I took him to the kitchen. I poured a glass of water and handed it to him, but unfortunately he couldn't hold it and it shattered to the ground, which just about pushed him over the edge and he started sobbing again.
        "I can't even hold a fricken glass of water." He said between sobs.
        "It's okay, I'll help you." He nodded and I poured another and put it in his hands and I wrapped mine around his to help him. After that I took him up to bed. "Let's try to get you some sleep okay?"
        "I guess, but you'll stay right?" I nodded and we got into bed. I held him close and began to run my hand through his hair and my other hand rubbing his back. Eventually after about 15 minutes, his breaths evened out and he was fast asleep.
        I moved after about 45 minutes to clean up the mess in the kitchen and came back to find that he was still asleep, which was good. I got in next to him and turned in for the night.
        Louis eventually got over the hump of withdrawal and he started to improve. His headaches went away and his hands stopped shaking after about a week. He still sometimes had cravings, but he always came to talk to me about it, which was helpful. He had officially quit cigarettes after about 3 weeks after he was released from the hospital.
Hope you guys enjoyed this one, I really liked writing this. Please if you have requests leave them here or on the most recent update chapter.
Now I have a question about a future one shot that i want to write. Would you guys want to see a prequel one shot to the paralysis one I did a little bit ago? I was thinking about it, but I want to hear your guy's opinion on it.
Also thank you so much for 9K, I really appreciate it. Treat people with Kindness and Enjoy your day.
Leah <3