Harry: Diabetes (3)

Louis POV

"Harry's been in the bathroom for a while and we are supposed to go back to rehearsal." Liam said as he was reviewing his steps for the concert.

"Yea he has. I'll go check on him." I headed out of the room and to the bathroom. I knocked gently on the door, but heard no response, which made me a little nervous. I pushed the door open and saw Harry lying on the ground unconscious. "Harry!"

I tried shaking him and slapping his face, but he wouldn't stir. I checked his device for his blood sugar levels, but it was still the same as this morning. This couldn't be right, I thought. I yelled for the other boys.

"Liam! Niall!" They came running. "Go grab his emergency kit, I dont' think his device is working. And call an ambulance." They left to call and got his kit. They gave it to me and I took out the device that can check his blood sugar manually. I pricked his finger and checked it.

"Is he okay?" Liam asked, obviously concerned.

"Shit." The reading came up and it was extremely low. "His sugar is 46, which is dangerously low. Can you hand me the glucagon kit?"

"Yeah here. What do you have to do?" He asked, handing me the kit as I took out the syringe and the glucagon.

"I have to give him this injection." I mixed the vial and drew it back in the syringe and rolled up Harry's pant leg. "He showed me how to do this in case of emergencies, and I've only done it one other time. It's injected into the thigh and can increase his blood sugar for the time being, but he'll have to go to the hospital. Are they coming Niall?"

"They are on their way. About 8 minutes!" He said, walking back into the hallway.

"Will the injection wake him up?" Liam asked.

"Not sure. Last time I did it he was conscious, but he'll be prone to vomiting due to the rush of glucose. Can you squeeze his thigh while I inject it?"

"Yeah" He grabbed Harry's thigh as I injected the needle, pushed the medicine, then redrew the needle, capping it for safety.

"Alright I have to check his sugar again." I took his finger, pricking it and checking his levels. While I waited for the results, I removed the omnipod on his arm and turned him on his side in case he vomited. Clearly his device wasn't working properly so I would have them check it at the hospital. Then the device that was reading his levels beeped, indicating that it was ready. "His blood sugar returned to normal for now." I noted the reading as the paramedics would ask for it.

The paramedics arrived and Harry was still unconscious, but he had vomited because of the injection. They quickly assessed him, checking his levels again and then loaded him up into the ambulance. Me and the boys had to go separately as his condition was considered critical.

---------------------------------------------------------

We waited in the waiting room until Harry was stabilized. I was really nervous as he never lets his sugar get that low, so I was scared. Harry also hates hospitals, so he'll be very scared when he wakes, so I wanted to be there. It had been about 2 hours and we hadn't gotten an update yet.

"Lou?" I was snapped out of my thoughts by Liam calling my name.

"I called your name like 3 times mate. You alright?" He said, sitting down next to me.

"No I'm really not. He scared me Liam. I don't know." I put my head in my hands, and he put his hand on my back in a way of comfort.

"I'm sure he'll be fine Lou. He scared us all, but it's not his fault that his device wasn't working."

"I know, it's just I should have noticed that something was wrong when the number was exactly the same 3 times." He looked at me apologetically and took my hands in his.

"Lou you can't put the blame on yourself. He wouldn't want you to do that." I nodded as a nurse came into the waiting room. I recognized her as one of the nurses that took Harry in.

"Friends of Harry Styles?" We all shot up and went over to her. We all started to ask questions at the same time, as we were all very worried.

"Okay everyone calm down. Mr. Styles is fine. As you know he had a low blood sugar episode, but the emergency shot of glucagon definitely saved his life. He is currently still asleep on a special IV drip with fluids that have glucose. He should be waking soon."

"What about his blood sugar monitor?" I asked.

"Oh yes. We currently have him on a hospital monitor that monitors his vitals along with his blood sugar. The device that he had was defective, so we will be providing you with a new brand. It's surprising that he went this long without an episode. He's lucky."

"Okay. Thank you. Can we see him now?" I asked, fidgeting with my fingers.

"Of course. Follow me." She led us down the hallway to Harry's room. "Try not to jostle him too much as he may still feel sick and the monitor is very sensitive to movement, so just be careful okay? Press the emergency button on the wall if you need anything." She opened the door to reveal Harry lying lifelessly on the bed. He was almost too tall for the bed, as his feet touched the end. I took the chair right next to his bed and Liam and Niall took the window seat. Now we just waited for Harry to wake up.