Harry: Dizziness? (2)

Louis POV

Eventually, Liam arrived and Harry was still barely conscious. Liam came rushing up and came right over to Harry's side.

"Harry?" He asked, but Harry didn't really respond, so I was becoming more concerned by the minute. Liam took Harry's vitals and wasn't really telling me anything.

"Liam what's happening?" He stayed silent for a minute before responding.

"These symptoms are linking up with DKA, or diabetic ketoacidosis. He needs to get to a hospital." He took out his phone and called an ambulance before I could ask him to explain what that is. After about 3 minutes, he hung up and turned Harry on his back and put two pillows under his head to make him sit up slightly.

"What is that? Is it fatal?" I asked, helping him adjust Harry.

"I'll be honest with you and yes it can be, if it goes untreated. He has all the symptoms. Frequent urination, constant thirst, fruity breath, vomiting, nausea, mental confusion. But luckily there is a treatment as long as we get him to a hospital." I nodded as I could hear the sirens in the distance.

"Does this mean he has diabetes?" I asked.

"Not necessarily, but it's possible. There is no way to go without tests, which they'll do at the hospital." I nodded as LIam went to open the front door for the paramedics. "He's in here. I'm a doctor and I think he is very close to going into a diabetic coma, so we need to move now."

The paramedic got to work. First they moved him downstairs onto the stretcher then began to hook him up to a monitor and an IV. The IV had electrolytes to replace the ones that he lost and to hopefully slow the process of the coma from happening. Luckily Harry was still conscious, just not responsive and very confused. It was good that he didn't know what was happening because I'm pretty sure he would be freaking out right now if he did.

Eventually after about 8 minutes, we pulled into the hospital. Liam asked me to stay in the waiting room and assured me that Harry would be fine. I sat in the waiting room for about 2 hours.

Liam's POV

I followed Harry back into the emergency room and transferred him to the bed, beginning to work on him immediately. I asked one of the nurses to draw blood and to test for everything.

After giving him two injections of Insulin, his body started to react and he started to slowly get better in about an hour. The nurse came back with his blood results, and my fear was confirmed. He did in fact have diabetes and that was the cause of his diabetic ketoacidosis episode. At least now they know so they can prevent another one from happening in the future.

We gave Harry some sedation to be sure he was out while I went to talk to another doctor and to Louis, as we didn't want him waking without someone he knew next to him, as he'd probably have a full blown panic attack from being in a hospital with no recollection of how he got there.

I headed to the waiting room and watched for a minute how worried Louis looked. There was almost a hint of guilt in his eyes when he finally looked up and saw me. He ran towards me and I took him into a hug.

"Is he okay?" He asked and I nodded as I led him down the hallway and began to explain Harry's condition.

"We were able to control his blood sugar levels before it got too bad and he went into a coma. We gave him 2 injections of Insulin and his body started to react. We gave him a sedative to be sure he didn't wake up before you were with him so he doesn't panic."

"That's good right?" I stopped outside of Harry's room and didn't say anything. "Liam that's good right?"

"Yes, it means he is stable, but after a round of blood tests, it does appear he has diabetes." Louis looked as if he stopped breathing, so I put my hand on his shoulder. "It's not really a bad thing Lou. You can control it and he shouldn't have any issues."

"Can I see him please?" I nodded and opened the door to Harry's room where he was lying there, sedated from the medication.

"So what does that mean for his life? The diabetes I mean?" He asked after I finished checking his vitals and blood sugar.

"Basically you'll have to monitor his blood sugar. You'll start on manual blood sugar monitoring, and then hopefully you could be placed on an automatic one, where it monitors the levels and injects insulin as needed. But you'll start manually, which includes manual injections. Don't worry though as we will show you what to do. We will talk more once Harry wakes up okay?" He nodded and I left the room, closing it behind me to give them some privacy.

Louis POV

Eventually Harry started to stir and wake up. I took his hand and put some of his hair behind his ear as he finally opened his eyes. They looked at mine almost immediately and he smiled. But that smile was wiped once he figured out where he was.

"Haz don't panic, you're fine. Try to relax." He took his hand from my grip and was examining his surroundings.

"Louis I told you I didn't want to go to the hospital." I took his hand again and tried to calm him, but he wasn't having it. "No, I want to go home!"

"Harry!" I shouted, which got his attention. "You almost died! You almost went into an irreversible coma! You have diabetes and your blood sugar was so high that it almost killed you, so you should be thanking me for taking you here!" He was silent after that, as if he was taking in all the information that I just told him and I felt bad for yelling, but he needed to be set straight (gay ;D).

"I'm sorry!" He said and started sobbing. I took him in my arms as he fisted my t-shirt and continued sobbing. Liam came in a few minutes later as Harry was calming down. He finally let go and turned to look at Liam.

"I'm assuming Louis told you?" He nodded and looked at me. "So I'm going to show you what to do to manually check your blood sugar okay?" He nodded as Liam took out a lancet (finger-pricking device), a small piece of gauze, and the glucose monitor.

"So first we will prick your finger-" Harry cut Liam off.

"No, no, no. I'm not pricking myself with a needle. Absolutely not." He said and started to get out of bed, but me and Liam held him back. "Lou you know I don't like this."

"I know, but you have to do this Haz. This is going to become your new normal." He shook his head and sighed.

"Can you do it?" I looked at Liam and he nodded, so I nodded too.

"So you take his finger." Liam grabbed Harry's right hand as Harry looked away, not wanting to see the blood or anything. "Clean it with the alcohol swab and wait for it to dry. Then you want to prick the side of his finger, not the middle. Like this." Liam pricked the finger and Harry winced. "Squeeze his finger for the first drop of blood, then wipe it away and use the second drop off blood for the device." I nodded as he put the device to the blood on Harry's finger and waited for the device to show results. He placed a small piece of gauze on Harry's finger and had him hold it on there.

"Once the device shows up, it'll give you a number. Right now his is considered high, as he hasn't eaten since this morning, so we have to give him an insulin injection." Harry whipped his head around to look at Liam and knocked the syringe out of his hand. Harry got up from the bed and started to back into the corner.

"Haz calm down baby please. We just want to help you." He shook his head vigorously. He slid down to his knees.

"No, I don't want a shot. Liam get away from me!" He shouted as Liam made his way back over.

"Harry if we don't do this you could get really sick again and we don't want that do we?" He shook his head no.

"No but I don't want a shot. Isn't there something else you can do?" He pleaded and Liam shook his head no.

"I wish there was, but for now, until we can get you on an automated device, this is the only thing we can do." He sighed and nodded, allowing us to help him back into the bed.