Harry: Cancer (3)

A/N: This chapter will take you through Harry's treatments of chemo. It's not all of them, but a few. Mostly his first treatment, his bad days, a good day, and his last treatment. The final part will be the happy ending

*Also for reference, Harry has short hair in this - think dunkirk era

This one turned out to be just over 4K words, so yeah enjoy!

Harry POV

1st Treatment out of 12

It's been 3 days since my knee surgery and my knee is basically good as new. My stitches come off in a few days, but today I start my first treatment. Although the doctor said side effects don't usually take place until the 3rd or 4th treatment, I'm still terrified.

The nurse came in a few minutes ago to access my port, which they put in after my knee surgery. They originally were going to place it in during my knee surgery, but decided against it and placed it the day after. The nurse basically stuck a needle where the port is and placed an IV so it's easier for them to start the treatment.

Louis came back around 9, about 20 minutes before they start. He went home to grab stuff for both of us to stay here for a month or so. I told him he didn't have to stay every night with me, but he was reluctant and said, "I'm not leaving until you do, so hush and I'll be back with the stuff." I didn't argue any further, so here we are.

"I brought some stuff that I think would keep you busy. Plus your pillow and other bedding items to keep you comfortable." He said, rolling the suitcase and other bags to the opposite side of the room near his "bed" which was technically a recliner turned into a bed.

"Thank you Lou." He nodded and gave me a kiss. The nurse came in a few minutes later with a few items in her hands. I assumed it was time to get started.

"Alright since this is your first treatment, I'll walk you through it the first few times and let you adjust." She held up what looked like a normal IV bag, but it had a discoloring to it and honestly it looked like pee. "This is the actual chemo. It'll go through your port and run for about an hour. You won't feel anything, as it just runs through your veins."

The nurse began to connect the tubing and hung the bag next to the now empty bag of fluids. I was told they will constantly keep me on fluids, as chemo can very easily dehydrate you. But hey at least I didn't have to drink all those fluids.

"So it's set to run, but I have to draw some blood, but don't worry, I'm getting it from you port, so I don't have to stick you again." I nodded as she did her thing and drew blood and stored it away in a small bag. "Alright I'm all done. I'll check on you in about a half hour and then when it starts to beep, call me in and I'll unhook you. Then your first treatment will be finished. Sounds good?"

"Y-yeah thanks." She nodded and left us alone. "So that's it huh?"

"Yup. Looks like it. Want to watch some TV or something? We've got an hour for you to just lay here, so up for it?"

"Sure." I said chuckling. He turned the TV to some crime show (criminal minds fans anyone?) and left it on a lower volume.

The nurse checked when she said she would and just like that, in about an hour, the first treatment was over. She came and unhooked me, keeping my fluids running.

"So you may not experience symptoms for a bit, but in case you do, I'll tell you some symptoms that a lot of chemo patients do eventually experience." She said, handing me and Louis a piece of paper with a lot of information on it. "That paper has everything I'm about to explain. Most chemo patients experience fatigue, nausea, vomiting, fever, paleness, anemia, hair loss, dizziness, loss of appetite and/or dry mouth or throat. Since your chemo is pretty basic and not very concentrated, these should be the only symptoms you experience. However, if you start to experience these symptoms to the extreme or we notice changes in your weight, nerve problems, or pain, please let us know immediately. A fever is very common, along with the paleness, but as long as we keep you fed and hydrated, you should be fine. Any questions?"