Harry: Diabetes (1)

FYI - I am currently in nursing school and have worked with people that have diabetes, but I am in no way a medical professional and most of the information about diabetes in this particular story is from research and personal experience, so if anything is incorrect about the condition please feel free to reach out and let me know and I'll be happy to change it. Enjoy!

In this story, Harry has the omnipod system which is connected via a small device which has an adapter that is placed in the arm and connects to a device that displays the amount of insulin being "injected" and the blood glucose levels.

Trigger: talk of needles and vomiting - if that triggers you, proceed with caution

Harry POV

I was in the bathroom starting to change my omnipod. It was currently in my left arm's bicep and I was trying to take it off, but I had no luck. I was still getting used to the device, as I was giving myself daily injections before, but my doctor recommended I tried this for tour.

I still had to read the instructions when I went to change it out, as it had to be changed every 3 days, but I was getting used to it. However, today I needed Louis' help.

"Louis!" I called, as I knew he was in the living room.

"What's up darling?" He came in and tried to assess the situation. He saw me struggling with the insulin pump on my arm. "Do you need some help?"

"Please. Just take the omnipod out and remove the adapter, but throw out the rest. I have to put a new one somewhere." I told him. He did as I told, wincing as he pulled the current needle out.

"Where do you want the new one?"

"In my other arm. Let me prep it first." I filled it with 3 days worth of insulin, as that's all it would take, then placed it in the device that injects it into my arm. I rolled my right sleeve up and handed the device to Louis. I wiped the arm with an alcohol swab and waited for it to dry. I still wasn't very fond of needles, but I've gotten used to it, but Louis used to give me all my injections, so I had him do this too. "Go ahead. Whenever you're ready."

"Do you want me to count or-"

"Just do it." But before I could finish, he pressed the button and injected it into my arm. I winced slightly, but not as much as I wasn't really expecting it. "Geez Lou a warning would have been nice." I said as I placed the protective barrier around the omnipod and started to connect it to the device attached to my waist.

"I've read that if you do it when they don't expect it, it hurts less. So that's what I did. Sorry babe." He said, booping my nose and kissing my cheek, leaving me to finish up.

I chuckled as I connected the device and checked my sugar level, which was slightly elevated, but that was normal after changing my device, so I just let it adjust and release whatever insulin it needed to. We had about a week before the tour started, so I had to make sure I had all my necessary equipment available, as we won't be able to get to my doctor for more supplies if needed. I rejoined Louis who was watching random tv shows on the tv, while he rested on the couch.

"All set?" He asked as I sat next to him, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I think. It's weird to not have to think about the food I'm eating and calculate how much insulin I need. It's nice to just eat, you know?"

"Yea I guess. I've never had to think about it, but I feel for you. Want to watch a movie?"

"Sure." We watched a movie and then went to sleep later that night.