Chapter Three

The next day

I was currently sitting on one of the bar stools in front of the granite kitchen counter, working on my school project. I chose to do it in the kitchen because this was where the home Wi-Fi worked best apart from Mr. Coker’s home office.

Mr. Coker is what you’d call a chronic workaholic. Whenever he wasn’t working in his office on Lagos mainland, he was working in his home office, hence the Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi  was one of the reasons why I loved my job here, sometimes I didn’t even need to bother myself buying mobile data as I would just wait till I came to work to do whatever I had to do.

I decided to work on my project after I was done with my cleaning for today and I was waiting for Yinka’s laundry in the washing machine to be done, so I could return them neatly folded to his room.

Speaking of Yinka, I had been avoiding him because of the whole ‘English speaking’ thing. When I returned with Mrs. Coker’s airtime yesterday, she didn’t scold me at all, instead she profusely apologized for her son’s behavior towards me. I realized right there and then that he didn’t rat me out to his mom which I found slightly disturbing – like what did he want in exchange for that.

When I arrived at the mansion earlier this morning, he wasn’t around and I guessed he was out with his friends or was dropping off one of his conquests again. Either way, I was so relieved to know that I didn’t have to face him, my plan was to do my work as fast as I could and dash out of the house without encountering him. I knew that I would run into him one way or the other but the longer I could put it off the better.

My plan went down the drain, when I heard the front door open and the sound of footfalls echoing in the hallway. I quietly got down from the stool and tiptoed to the kitchen doorway from where I could see anyone walking into the living room.

I saw Yinka walk into the living room and drop the keys to one of the numerous cars parked outside on the center table. He stretched out his arms as if trying to work out some tensed muscles before heading towards the direction of the kitchen.

Noooooo.

I quickly tiptoed back into the kitchen as quietly as possible. My heart began to race as I searched for where to hide but it seemed like everywhere suddenly became too open to hide in. As his footfalls got nearer, I had no choice but to fall to the ground behind the counter where I was previously sitting at.

I could hear my heartbeat in my ears; it was like my heart beat was echoing in the room. I tried to slow down my breathing as I clasped my hand over my mouth. My crouching position reminded me of the kitchen scene in the movie ‘Ready or Not’ that I saw some time ago.

I heard the refrigerator open and close, then his footfalls heading towards the kitchen sink area which was opposite the counter, on the other side from where I was. When I heard the squeaky sound of the faucet being turned open and water gushing out of the tap. I slowly and quietly began to crawl towards the door so I could escape.

With the doorway in my view and my escape within reach, I heard the clearing of throat behind me making me halt. I slowly looked behind to find an unamused Yinka with his arms crossed in front of his chest.

“Oh hi” I chuckled nervously

“What do you think you’re doing?” he asked straight faced

What does it look like I’m doing? Escaping.

“Oh me, I was just looking for one of my earrings that fell” I lied through my pearly whites. “Found it”

God please forgive me for lying.

I stood up slowly from my position and smoothened out the creases on my uniform. He watched me intently as I tried to gather my braids that had all of a sudden gotten loose from my scrunchy.