Chapter Nineteen

"Thank you ma," I said as we exited the shop.

"Thank you, my dear" she waved from the door. "Take care"

The sky had gotten a little bit darker as the weather had drastically changed. It seemed like a heavy downpour was looming. As soon as I got around to the passenger side, Yinka unlocked the car and we both got in.

He turned on the engine and proceeded to put on his seatbelt. "Uhm... I need to stop somewhere quickly before dropping you off. You don't mind, right?"

He spared me a glance before re-focusing on clicking in his seatbelt. I was also doing the same thing on my end.

I shook my head. "No problem"

It was funny he was checking with me like I could say no in the first place.

He released a short breath before moving the automatic gear stick away from Parking. As we drove out of the junction, I saw an eatery across the road and somehow got reminded that I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.

I glanced at the dashboard for the digital clock. It read 4:05pm.

We wasted a lot of time at the tailor's place. It turned out Mrs. Coker hadn't finalized the styles she wanted to be sewn so we had to call her. I had to send a dozen pictures from the tailor's Ankara magazine to her and also received assorted designs to show to the tailor.

There was a lot of back and forth between them. Just when you think they've settled on one design, one absurd factor would come into play, and then they'll go back halfway into correcting the issue. It was exhausting.

Thirty minutes into the ride, it began to drizzle. The light shower gradually building momentum and the sky growing even darker. It was just a couple of minutes past four and it looked like it was six pm.

Yinka drove into an estate and right on the next street, he parked in front of a black gate.

"I'll be right back," he said as he unstrapped his seatbelt and got out of the car.

I, on the other hand, picked up my phone from between my thighs. An Instagram live notification of one of my mutuals popped up and I tapped on it to pass time. I didn't last up to five minutes on the live before exiting and just scrolling through my feed.

I looked up from my phone to rotate my neck that had grown a bit stiff and right on time, Yinka proceeded out of the gate. He had a black gym bag in one hand and following closely behind him was Prisca.

He must have said something funny because she had the smile that appeared after you just laughed on her face. As they got closer to the car, her eyes met with mine and her smile faltered. At this point, I didn't need a soothsayer to tell me, she felt some type of way about me.

Omo, see as I dey turn her belle. Innocent me o.

I averted my eyes to my phone and resumed scrolling on my Instagram. I heard the back door right behind me open and I peered through my lashes at the side mirror to see Yinka dropping his bag on the seat.

Seconds later, he pulled open the driver's door and got in. Before he shut the door, the light bang of the gate closing came in. As soon as he pulled away from the parking spot, it began to rain heavily.

I hope Oluchi packed all our clothes oo.

For the second time today, we met with another traffic, this one ten times worse than the former. It was a complete standstill. It was almost like the entire Lagos was retiring to their various homes. Yinka switched off the engine leaving the air conditioner and radio on.