Chapter Fifteen

My phone vibrated at the back of my pocket before my ringtone filled the laundry room. I gently placed the hot iron on its side before pulling out my phone.

It was one of my group project mates, Patience.

"Hello?"

"Chineye?"

"Yeah. It's me"

"Oh good. Omo, I just left our supervisor's office and he said that you should look for new topics. He doesn't want you to write on the old ones anymore"

"Ah ahn!" I exclaimed. "Wait, I don't understand. He told you to tell me to change my topic"

"Yeah"

"Why now?"

"I don't know o. I'm just reporting what was told to me. Maybe, he felt the topic wasn't strong enough. I honestly don't know"

"Is this madness or what?" I said more to myself than her. "I'm halfway done with that topic. How am I supposed to start again?"

"Ewoo. Chaii." She said. "Me sef dey reason how you wan take restart the thing" (I was also thinking of how you would cope starting again)

"Mtcheww. What kind of problem is this one now?" I said to myself

I began to hear voices and cars honking in the background. She must have gotten to the express or something.

"Okay now. Thank you for telling me" I said in a somber tone

"Yeah. Bye." she said before hanging up.

Nawa oo.

As I looked down at the ironing board, I realized that I had mindlessly placed the iron back on the shirt I was ironing while talking on the phone. I quickly raised the iron from the shirt but the damage had already been done.

OH NO. NO. NO.

It was Yinka's white dress shirt.

What kind of wahala is this?

This past week I had been on my best behavior. I did my work and avoided any issues with him. Even when he spoke to me in tones I didn't quite appreciate, I bit my tongue and just took it. Why is this happening now? I just hope he wouldn't make much out of it and let it slide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I placed my hand on my beating heart. It felt like any moment now, it would burst free. The closer I got to his room, the harder my heart pounded.

Please, let him be in a good mood. I thought, tightening my grip on the shirt.

As I got to the bedroom door, I was met with a loud, angry voice. It seemed like he was talking on the phone and it was definitely not a beneficial phone call.

Should I go and come back later?

"That was not the agreement!" His voice got even louder.

Eweeey!!

"I'll come back later, abeg" I whispered to myself.

The door swung open as I turned to leave. He had one hand on the door handle and the other holding the phone to his ear. I stood frozen in front of him with the shirt in my hands like a deer caught in the headlights. His gaze on me didn't waver which made me even more nervous.

"I'll call you back later" he said into the phone before hanging up.

"Yes. How can I help you?" he asked

I don enter.

"Uhm... Your shirt..." I swallowed hard as a lump hard formed in my throat.