Chapter Forty-five

"Thought you were going to give me a hug with the way you ran up to me" he said with a coy smile.

"I didn't run up to you" I stated defensively yet  subtly spreading my arms open for a hug.

He didn't hesitate to fill in the gap. He wrapped his arms tightly around my frame. I inhaled the cool scent of his cologne, closing my eyes to savour it. He always smelt so good. His arms slid down slowly to the base of my back before lifting me off the ground.

I hit his back lightly. "Stop, put me down"

His essence and expensive, smooth ride was already turning a few heads even before I approached him but now that he pulled this stunt, I could feel and see a lot more eyes. I definitely wasn't loving the attention.

He chest vibrated from a deep chuckle and he proceeded to sway me from side to side defiantly. I buried my face in the crook of his neck drowning with embarrassment.

"Stop. Please drop me" it came out all muffled up but he finally heeded my request and placed me back on my feet.

I pulled away and hit him hard on the chest as soon as my feet landed on the lard ground. He cupped his chest in his palm and feigned a hurt look before replacing it with a grin.

I kissed my teeth and stood, hands akimbo. "What are you doing here?" I repeated.

"Want to get in first?" He gestured to the passenger door then pulled the door open like how a hotel doorman would do.

I eyed him cautiously, fighting back a smile and proceeded to get into the car. He shut the door gently and casual strode over to his side, throwing a few glances around the surrounding. God, this man was fine.

He got into the driver's seat, pulled on his seatbelt and made to reverse out of his spot. He had one hand on the steering wheel and placed the other hand behind my seat as he focused his gaze behind us as he reversed.

I noticed the neat fade on the side of his head and clear, glossy curl pattern atop his head. It was clear that he just visited the barber's place. I'd seen videos of girls who swooned over their boyfriend's fresh cut and I never understood it until now. I just knew he was looking mighty fine for no reason, today. Well, the reason just surfaced.

He clenched his jaws involuntarily and I caught sight of the veins at back of his hand on the wheel pop up for a quick hello. I averted my eyes to the view outside my window.

Clean thoughts, Lord. Clean thoughts is all I ask.

Eventually, he pulled out of the driveway and out of the university environment. There was a little traffic right outside the University gate and rain had begun with a light drizzle. Minutes later, the velocity of the rain increased to somewhere between a downpour and a light rain.

My sister was yet to reply to my text so I couldn't guarantee the safety of my clothes from the rain but the sound of the windshield wipers swaying across the glass felt therapeutic that I didn't feel the need to panic.

"So, how did you end up here? It was quite far from the house" I asked

"Yeah. I was running an errand for my mum and then I thought why don't I pop by and check on you" he said, eyes trained on the road.

"You took a risk there. What if I wasn't in school, what would you have done then?" I asked

"A risk? Not really. And I would've just gone home if you weren't around" he shrugged his shoulders.

"Really? Hold on, how did you even know where to find me and the exact time I was going to step out?" I asked suddenly bewildered.

He chuckled lightly. "Calm down. I was going to call you when I arrived but you walked out of that building so I guess that was a win. And, I've dropped you off at that exact spot once before, in case you've forgotten"