Chapter Eighteen

I twisted my neck from side to side to release the knots that had my neck stiff. I had just finished cleaning Mr. and Mrs. Coker's bedroom and was about to freshen up and start heading home. Today had progressed quite quickly, it was just 12pm and I was already done for the day.

I switched the cleaning equipment basket from my left to my right hand as I proceeded down the stairs. I was about to round up the corner when I heard my name been called from the living room.

Mrs. Coker was lying on the sofa, with her elbow propped on the armrest holding her head. She had a remote in her left hand, flipping through channels on the TV.

"Ma?"

She looked away from the TV and fixated her gaze on me. "Are you going to school from here?"

"No ma" I shook my head.

"You don't have any classes?"

"No ma. I'm free" I replied

"Excellent," she said with a bright smile. "Go drop the basket first and then come back"

"Okay"

I turned around and hastened my steps towards the utility room. In less than five minutes, I was back in the living room. She was now in a sitting position and beside her legs, on the floor was a white and black striped nylon bag. The bag had brown tape wrapped around it like it was being shipped off.

"Ma," I said announcing my presence.

"Oh," she said looking from the TV to me.

"Please, I'll need you to deliver this item to Iya Tunde" she said pointing to the nylon bag. "I would have sent one of my sales girls at the store but it was delivered directly to the house"

I nodded and mouthed 'okay'.

"Besides, I trust you more to handle and deliver with care" she said as she inspected the bag by moving it around.

I smiled subtly.

It was nice to hear that she trusted me but I had actually planned to head home and sleep like no man's business.

"So... Once you've changed out of your uniform, you can order an Uber ride. I'll send the money to your account" she said

Ope o.

I was already thinking about how I would start jumping buses for the trip. Iya Tunde was Mrs. Coker's personal tailor and her shop was located on the mainland. It was quite far away from the Island and the journey was tiring because of the amount of traffic that occurred on the way. I'd been there a couple of times so I knew how irritating the journey could be, especially in those hot, suffocating buses.

Thank God, she suggested Uber.

"Oh, thank you for coming down at the right time" She said referring to someone behind me. "It's like God just brought you down for me"

I turned around to see Yinka making his way down the stairs. He had a confused expression on his face as he made his way over to his mother.

"Please, you'll help me take Chineye to Iya Tunde" she declared. "I've forgotten there's someone who can drive in this house and I wanted to waste money"

"Ah Oluwa Ese" she said dramatically, raising her hand in the air. (Thank God)

"Wa- wai- wait. Hold on." Yinka said waving his hands in front of him. "First of all, who's Iya Tunde and why would I be going there? Secondly, you didn't even ask me if I had plans"

"Kini? What plans?" she hissed as she eyed him from head to toe. "I'm sending you on an errand, you're telling me about plans"

She looked at me. "Wo. Chineye, go and change. Yinka will take you there jare"