Chapter Thirty-eight

Lifting up the edge of the bed with one hand, I used the other to pull the sheet over the edge and carefully placed it back down. I repeated this action for the rest of the corners and then proceeded to tuck in the sides.

Once the bed had all its creases smoothened out, I looked around the room and then moved towards the windows. For some reason, the room seemed dim and stuffy even though the air-con and room lights were all turned on. I pulled the curtains open and pushed the window open for some fresh air.

I took in a deep breath of air and looked out the window. The mundane scenery of rusted rooftops, the neighbour's balcony, birds chirping whilst perched on an electric pole and blue skies fed my eyes. Although the scenery was uneventful, I still stood staring transfixed in my spot until a set of arms snaking around my waist pulled me out of my reverie.

I looked down at the arms pulling me back into its sturdy frame and then tilted my head to be able to place a face to the person. Lo and behold, I was met with Yinkas'.

I looked back out the window, hiding the smile that was creeping up on me. He pulled me closer and chuckled clearly aware of how flushed his presence made me. The vibrations that emerged from within his chest made me lean back against and close my eyes, basking in his warmth and cologne.

He tightened his hold around my waist and then leaned down to place a soft kiss on the crook of my neck, right where my birthmark resided, causing my stomach to flutter with butterflies. He placed a playful bite on my neck and I quickly pulled away from him, holding onto my neck, laughing.

"Stop..." I drawled out, grinning foolishly

"Come here" He held onto my arm and pulled me back to him, securing me in place with his arms behind me.

I slowly trailed my fingers up his chest and then crossed my arms behind his neck. We stayed gently swaying in a spot, staring into each other's eyes then he leaned down and met my lips with his.

Just as the kiss was about to progress, my eyes flew open and I stared wide-eyed into my pitch black room. I peered into the dark room and was able to make out Oluchi's frame, laying on her bed.

What was that?

I stayed still, mindlessly staring into darkness trying to collect my thoughts. After what seemed like forever, I finally sat up on my bed and proceeded to bend over the bed frame searching for my phone. I had placed it down on the floor, near the extension box to charge over the night.

I finally found the phone, disconnected and then sat back on the bed. I clicked it on and 3:04 am boldly lit the screen. I released a deep sigh and wiped my face with my palm; it was covered with sweat and so was my pyjama shirt.

I looked up at the fan and it was static, indicating that there was no power. I released another deep sigh and leaned against the cold wall behind me.

What kind of dream was that? And why Yinka? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

I stayed awake pondering on the whole essence of the dream I'd just had.

Wait... Since it was a dream and spirits both good and bad take over human characters that are familiar to us in said dreams. Does this mean that I was making out with a spirit in the form of Yinka? Omoo...

"I come against these kinds of dreams, in Jesus name. Amen. I wash away any imprints of the evil one in my life, in Jesus name. Amen. I'm covered with the precious blood of Jesus. Lord sanctify my dreams with holy ones, these I ask, in Jesus name. Amen," I muttered underneath my breath with my fingers clasped together in front of me.