Chapter Twenty-six

The whirring sound of the washing machine coincided with the video playing on my phone. Bent over and perched up against the top of the dryer. Mr. and Mrs. Coker's laundry was in the washing machine and Yinka's was in his laundry bag, on the floor, by the corner.

"Abeg, this prank is very risky. Which kain rough play?" I said out loud to my phone

As the YouTube prank video progressed, I would pause it, just to make comments to myself. I noticed a dark figure at the corner of my eyes and whipped my head in the direction of the object. My heart did a double-take as I instinctively backed away from the dryer.

Yinka was perched against the door frame, watching me. He chuckled, shaking his head and pushed himself off the frame.

"Do you just usually talk to yourself like that?" he said, walking further into the laundry room

"Oh... Uhm" I swallowed hard with my hand placed against my chest.

"Sorry. It's broad daylight. Were you that scared?" he said

I chuckled. "I wasn't expecting anybody to be standing there"

I must have looked crazy talking to myself like that.

"Did I look like a mad person, talking to myself?" I asked

"Not mad, but I won't say it looked completely normal" he tilted his head to the side as he talked. "I mean, people talk to their selves all the time"

"Yeah..." I nodded

"Just not in places where people can easily walk in on them" he added with an abrupt chuckle

I snickered. "Yeah, of course"

He lifted a black piece of clothing. "Where do I keep this?"

"Oh..." I turned around and made contact with his laundry bag.

I didn't even notice he had something in his hand, I was too busy trying not to have a heart attack.

"Just give it to me" I outstretched my arm to him and he dropped the item in my open palm.

I strolled over to the laundry bag and dropped it into it. On cue, the beeping sound of the washing machine went off. I crouched down, pulling an empty bucket to gather the freshly washed clothes.

The laundry room was quite small. The dryer and washing machine took up most of the space on the floor. Then an iron board was placed close to the teal blue wall, just by the entrance. We'd just pull it slightly out when it was to be put to use. There was a three-row overhead cupboard, where detergent, fabric softeners and others along that line were placed. A small window directly opposite to the entrance provided ventilation in the small room.

"You like watching prank videos?" Yinka asked

I looked up to find him, looking down at my phone on the dryer. I actually thought he'd walked away after giving his shirt to me.

"Uh... yeah" I answered, pulling the clothes out from the machine and shoving them into the bucket

"You like pranks?" he asked, looking away from the phone and to me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "Watching it. Not being on the receiving end of the prank"

He chuckled. "Doing pranks on you would be highly entertaining. You're easily shaken"

"You're not oka—"I immediately caught myself and cleared my throat.

Sometimes, I forgot that I needed to maintain some level of respect. These days, he was more like a newly acquired friend than my employer's son.