Chapter Twenty-two

A small sharp scream escaped my lips as I jumped back into Yinka's body. His arms shot out to steady me from tripping over. My hands immediately went to cover my slightly agape mouth, partially shocked from how loud I screamed and also genuinely surprised at the people before me.

"Oh my God," I said against my palm.

"Enter inside now. Abi, you want to sleep outside?" Felix jested and the others laughed

I chuckled and stepped into the room with my hands still clasped over my mouth. I have never had people come out to surprise me ever before and I was a bit overwhelmed.

"Thank you so much," I said. "Wow"

They were all smiles as they had anticipated my reaction. I walked over to the group and placed a hug on each person whilst thanking them.

I looked around the room and there wasn't much of a decoration going on except for the cluster of colourful balloons tied on both ends of the window burglary proof. I also noticed my reading table was cleared out and a couple of drinks with some covered plates were placed on it.

"Awwwn" I said as I looked around. My eyes settled back on the balloons, the curtains were pushed slightly back to avoid it covering the balloons. "Abeg, who tied that thing?" I chuckled

"What? The blohm blohm? Is it not fine?" Uju asked

"Blohm blohm?" I laughed at her. "No, it's okay. I'm just asking"

"Should we beg you to introduce us to your friend?" Emeka pointed out

"Oh my... Sorry" I rushed out.

I had actually forgotten that I had invited Yinka into my place. I was surrounded by my friends and so immersed in the little details that it didn't occur to me that they were strangers to each other.

"So these are my friends; Uju, Felix, Tope, Emeka, Feyi and that's my sister, Oluchi" I listed off, pointing to each individual.

They each smiled or slightly nodded when pointed out as a form of greeting.

"Guys, this is my—" I stalled a bit

Do I introduce him as my boss's son? Or my boss? Well, my boss's son is still my boss so...

"—my boss" I stated

Do I add his name? Is that necessary? Wait, I always call him by his name in my head, do I have to add some form of a title when mentioning his name?

It felt a bit awkward introducing them. I was second-guessing almost everything that left my mouth because I wanted to maintain some form of respect.

If I had just allowed him to go after dropping me off.

"Your boss?" Emeka said, curiosity dripping in his tone. "He looks so young for a boss"

He looked to Yinka. "How old are you? If you don't mind me asking"

I shot Emeka a glare.

"Twenty-seven" Yinka answered confidently

"Wow," Emeka nodded. "A boss at twenty-seven. That's amazing"

"So—"I started to say

"Is it like a company you run or something?" Emeka directed at Yinka

"No" Yinka answered

"So what exactly do you do?" Emeka egged on.

Emeka's constant questioning was slowly irritating me. It was almost like he was interviewing Yinka, with question after question.